Why so soon!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 06:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why so soon!!!!

Hello all! It's nice to be part of a forum to discuss cars, trucks, sports and whatever else but I must say I didn't want to be on here for my issue so soon! I have only had my 2008 F-350 for a week and have now towed it home due to a chocolate milk mixture coming out of the coolant overflow reservoir. I lost power on the road and the truck would just rev to 1500 and then drop to a 1000 and the same thing again and again. After I shut it off and restarted it I got the power back and started to drive home but decided to shut her down and have her towed. I didn't see any oil/coolant mixture on the dipstick though so I'm wondering how bad it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just want to mention one more thing as a guy that holds integrity very high on the totem pole. I read on this forum about a guy defending ford and the 6.4 motor who mentioned that someone didn't change a fuel filter and the hp fuel filter went on his truck and the repair cost was going to be 14K. This is obscene! With todays technology how can such a minor component ( I know it has great importance to the running of the vehicle ) have such catastrophic results. Why isn't something put in place to shut everything down if a failure like this hands? It's ridiculous how much of a cash grab is involved with these manufacturers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like your oil cooler ruptured. You will need to flush the system really well to get all the crap out of there and then replace the oil cooler.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
Sounds like your oil cooler ruptured. You will need to flush the system really well to get all the crap out of there and then replace the oil cooler.
I've heard that it's a big job, can you confirm that. If I haven't seen the mixture in the pan could things be ok internally? Cheers!
Old 10-11-2013, 06:52 AM

Yea unfortunately its a big cab off job. I would imagine you will be ok flushing all that crap out then replacing the oil cooler.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Obviously!

Quote:
Yea unfortunately its a big cab off job. I would imagine you will be ok flushing all that crap out then replacing the oil cooler.
How could I expect anything less! Have you heard of anyone putting the new 6.7 in these earlier models? I don't want to go through this bull**** every couple of years. Cheers!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool69 View Post
How could I expect anything less! Have you heard of anyone putting the new 6.7 in these earlier models? I don't want to go through this bull**** every couple of years. Cheers!
Honestly man you don't hear about it much. Its not terribly common for them to go bad. If you flush the system, switch to an elc coolant, add a coolant filter and watch you deltas you should be ok. Maybe one day BPD will make a kit for the 6.4 that makes the oil cooler external like they have for the 6.0. That way if there is a rupture you will not contaminate the oil and coolant. In the mean time OEM is the only way to go for a ruptured cooler.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cheers!

Quote:
Honestly man you don't hear about it much. Its not terribly common for them to go bad. If you flush the system, switch to an elc coolant, add a coolant filter and watch you deltas you should be ok. Maybe one day BPD will make a kit for the 6.4 that makes the oil cooler external like they have for the 6.0. That way if there is a rupture you will not contaminate the oil and coolant. In the mean time OEM is the only way to go for a ruptured cooler.
Thanks for all your help and keep me posted if you find a fix.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool69 View Post
Thanks for all your help and keep me posted if you find a fix.
No problem. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2013, 07:41 AM

Most everything can be done with the cab on but the recommendation to the Ford dealers is a cab off for a more efficient high grade repair than what would never be achieved with a cab on. Wouldn't you want that instead?

Cab off is not a big deal for the typical owner and I am not sure why people jump to the conclusion that it is. Now if you got an ambulance or tow truck...a little more tricky.

The 6.4 is a maintenance *****. You get what you give with it.

Lastly Navistar designed the motor and Ford implemented it. Even though Ford has dropped Navistar they (International) continues to build trucks with the 6.4 motor even after Ford cut it 3 years ago considering it a success as many other 10's of thousands of other owners do (since they do not come on here to gloat how well things are running).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.