Leaking coolant at WOT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
Leaking coolant at WOT

CANNOT FIGURE THIS OUTTTT!!
okay so ive got h&s mini maxx with 5in exhaust and sinister egr delete with intake. got all of that done. only when i hunker down on it, basically put it to the floor do i start to leak coolant i mean a lot... enough to where ive almost gone through a gallon with just filling the dgas two times. once i pop the hood to search and investigate right over the lid of the degas bottle but on the hood area it just sprayed with coolant, along with the battery right infront and the back of the bottle is wet too. then you go down and look in the driver side wheel well sping,shocks, hoses, all are coated with coolant. i can sit there in the driveway truck running and everything and it will not drip a single drop anywhere go out for a drive look at it dry, floor from one red light check it coolant everywhere...non of my radior hoses on top look to be cracked or anything ive replaced the oem degas bottle cap with the ones from advance because ive heard the ford ones don't hold enough pressure....anyone have a clue??? :/ Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 02:35 PM

bumppppp for late afternoon...any takers want to take a stab at what it might be..
Old 10-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
collany leak

had the same problem for almost 2 years, dealer replaced the rad, hoses, thermastat, egr coolers and finally replaced head gaskets. now its fixed. oh and since it took so long to figure it out.. rad fluids would leak almost ever time I drove it, and because of that, the fluids leaked on the wiring harness under the degas tank and cause the truck to go into limp. check engine light said low voltage to the throttle.. they found this out after they replaced my ECM.. its been a long road but all is good and the truck runs great. hope that helps.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

Mine was doing the exact same thing only leak under extended boost.no smoke,no noises,no misses nothing.ran perfect but pushed out the degas bottle.fully deleted mishimoto radiated ,updated hoses and thermostats.all along thinking it's stretched head bolts but trying everything else first.tested cooling system it held 15.5 psi overnight.yesterday pulled cab to do head studs and gaskets and found a cracked piston.ordered international pistons and bearings ,head at machine shop getting checked then valve seals and valve job.hopefully this thing will last now.hopefully you find something simple but be prepared.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415dad View Post
had the same problem for almost 2 years, dealer replaced the rad, hoses, thermastat, egr coolers and finally replaced head gaskets. now its fixed. oh and since it took so long to figure it out.. rad fluids would leak almost ever time I drove it, and because of that, the fluids leaked on the wiring harness under the degas tank and cause the truck to go into limp. check engine light said low voltage to the throttle.. they found this out after they replaced my ECM.. its been a long road but all is good and the truck runs great. hope that helps.
so your problem was head gaskets went bad? but just from the amout of time you had to get all the wiring and stuff done? was your truck tuned at all? if it were head gaskets wouldnt it be leaking more down on the side of the motor? mine is more of the fender area and upper part of the driver side engine area...damn this really kind of worries me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTREEGUY View Post
Mine was doing the exact same thing only leak under extended boost.no smoke,no noises,no misses nothing.ran perfect but pushed out the degas bottle.fully deleted mishimoto radiated ,updated hoses and thermostats.all along thinking it's stretched head bolts but trying everything else first.tested cooling system it held 15.5 psi overnight.yesterday pulled cab to do head studs and gaskets and found a cracked piston.ordered international pistons and bearings ,head at machine shop getting checked then valve seals and valve job.hopefully this thing will last now.hopefully you find something simple but be prepared.
holllllllly SH!T i just got this truck not to long ago not trying to put that kind of money in it!! haha was your truck tuned as well?? wow...which piston was cracked? how many miles are did you have on that? any other idea of where it could possibly be coming from? just got the truck tunned like a week ago never had this issue at all when it was stock.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Premium Member

Had my truck less than 2 months sct tuner 130000.in 2 months I have honestly spent more on the 6.4 than the last ten years on my 03 7.3.good thing I kept the 03 ole faithful
Old 10-02-2013, 05:23 PM

ha yeah the truck in my sig is what i sold to get a 6.4..yeah ive spent more money on this truck than i ever imagined haha. just wish i could figure this out. i have a feeling its nothin like heads of gaskets but i just dont know...any idea on where else to check...i think tomorrow im going to stick a new cap on it and see what that does.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:35 PM

I'll say its 99.9% head gaskets. No one wants to believe it and tries to fix other things that are not wrong. I did the same thing. Take it in to get pressure tested it will be head gaskets. Sorry if I missed anything, every time I see a thread like this I skip to the bottom cause its 9 times out of 10 head gaskets.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Premium Member

Mine held pressure just fine.that's why I think it was stretched bolts allowing 1 of the heads to lift under high boost anything 25 or higher for more than a few seconds.by the way it was the number 4 piston
Old 10-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my problem all started after I got my mini max,, not saying that was the problem it just found the weak link..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.