6.4 tick-knock-cackle....I can't figure it out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 tick-knock-cackle....I can't figure it out

He all,

I am all forumed out...searching for the right noise for my problem (or not) I am having...here it goes.... video attached at end.

I bought this truck recently from a succession, it sat for 8 months while it was being cleared (final sale cannot return) . I never noticed the noise till I diagnosed my hanger bearing grind (that was notice from the start)..change it out and that was when I was able to hear this engine noise. I have only had 1 tank of fuel through it since I bought it so far, put some diesel additive at that time just cause it was sitting....figured couldn't hurt. (old duramax days)

At idle it is not noticable, but between 900-1500rpm you here it like a type writer or valve harmony...trickle tic tic tick..so it speak. old owner's family said it always did the sound (who is to know) and I have seen a few different ford stealerships they state normal as per TSB. I have read many stories on rocker issues, injector knock, roller issues, rod bearings... all to make me completely bonkers and scared to drive the damn thing. The truck has 95k miles on it, oils were changed every 5k or sooner (so I was told, and I tend to believe it as the condition and the previous owner family tells the right story) I was deleted very early in life so regen was not a factor, makes no oil, I changed the spark plug's...(lol just seeing if you were still following) and here I stand asking if the sounds you hear in video are like any of yours and if there was problems or if you have drivin it that way for many thousand's of miles with no issue's.

I plan on using it to haul our 13k fifth wheel camper and for daily driving...but want to catch any boo boo's before I have to empty my wallet!!!

thanks a bunch

6.4 tick-cackle-knock - YouTube

Last edited by toddster; 09-09-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 AM

forgot

forgot to add, no power issues, turbos spool fine and boost great...I think it may seem louder on performance canned tuned (sct) than on tow tune, but again I am worring myself sick over this.... Also oil was changed last week by me, rotella 15w40 with filters if any of that helps.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm in the same boat with you bud....everybody I talk to says its normal or they dont hear it.....truck runs great though.....still worried sick about it
Old 09-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
He all,

I am all forumed out...searching for the right noise for my problem (or not) I am having...here it goes.... video attached at end.

I bought this truck recently from a succession, it sat for 8 months while it was being cleared (final sale cannot return) . I never noticed the noise till I diagnosed my hanger bearing grind (that was notice from the start)..change it out and that was when I was able to hear this engine noise. I have only had 1 tank of fuel through it since I bought it so far, put some diesel additive at that time just cause it was sitting....figured couldn't hurt. (old duramax days)

At idle it is not noticable, but between 900-1500rpm you here it like a type writer or valve harmony...trickle tic tic tick..so it speak. old owner's family said it always did the sound (who is to know) and I have seen a few different ford stealerships they state normal as per TSB. I have read many stories on rocker issues, injector knock, roller issues, rod bearings... all to make me completely bonkers and scared to drive the damn thing. The truck has 95k miles on it, oils were changed every 5k or sooner (so I was told, and I tend to believe it as the condition and the previous owner family tells the right story) I was deleted very early in life so regen was not a factor, makes no oil, I changed the spark plug's...(lol just seeing if you were still following) and here I stand asking if the sounds you hear in video are like any of yours and if there was problems or if you have drivin it that way for many thousand's of miles with no issue's.

I plan on using it to haul our 13k fifth wheel camper and for daily driving...but want to catch any boo boo's before I have to empty my wallet!!!

thanks a bunch

6.4 tick-cackle-knock - YouTube

Please read this TBS if it applies to you then you are good. http://sdrv.ms/16vIUOj
Old 09-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That was scaring the **** out of my...glad to see its nothing

Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM

Thanks victorfordtech, I can't tell if it applies to me...that's the problem, don't know if you listened to the video...but I feel like it really sounds like loose rockers hitting the bridges, or a push rod popping on a rocker that has lost its plastic guide. or like a chain rolling across a metal case....type writer noise..just don't want to leave it and damage more and $$$$$ to fix.

I realize it was a tsb from ford but feel like it was a ford way to put a plaster on their wallets, hoping it will just last long enough for the warranties to be up, or if catastrophic failure was to occur, they deem it as lack of maintenance...just my 2 cents.

Ok finished venting...I have been able to borrow a garage big enough for my truck, and will open the valve cover's this tuesday. This way I will be sure there is no problem...I hope and at worse I will have done my coolant flush will keep you all up to date with my findings...maybe even photos....My fingers are crossed!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 05:31 PM

Ryan's strokin, I sure hope for all of us that it really is nothing....but for me, my mechanical knowledge, heavy researching and intoishion tells's me otherwise.....can't chance driving several hundred miles with a 13k pound 35 foot fifth wheel and have a major issue.....again fingers Crossed!!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh yeah it only took a couple ounces off my chest......I still have the feeling something ain't right
Old 09-15-2013, 07:38 PM

Hey Ryan,

How long has yours been sounding this way?...miles on truck? ever filmed yours for the sound?

some clain it has sounded the same as in my video since new and the have 100+ thousand miles now...

Does your sound exactly like mine?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah mine sounds a hell of a lot like yours . I think maybe a lil louder ticking. But I do have a bit over 118...like I said... Still runs like a charm,good turbo, everything,,,the only problem is the ticking and a lil bit of lag in the gas pedal but I think. That's just from my tuner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.