Issues after EGR delete & coolant filter install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Issues after EGR delete & coolant filter install

Truck ran fine prior to doing the delete. While I had the coolant drained I decided to install a coolant filter. I put the truck back together, refilled the coolant and left it running with the cap off to get air out of the system. After running it for 20-30 minutes, it was barely warmed up but the coolant level was at the cold fill. I capped it and took it for a drive around the block and everything seemed fine. The next morning I work up thinking that I forgot to plug the sensor back in that goes to the top center of the radiator. Plugged it in and started up the truck and CEL came on. Codes came up U0115, U0100, U2023, U0100, P2610, P1000, U0100. Reflashed with SCT and cleared codes. Started up and it was off for about 15 seconds and came back on. It drives normal with normal temps but when I got back home it had puked coolant. Thought there was more are so I ran it was the cap off again and it eventually burped a few more times after 30 minutes. Drove it again later and it was fine but the level dropped below the cold fill so I topped it off. Puked after driving it then and this is where I stand. Not really sure what to do at this point...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 02:46 PM

Forgot to mention only U0100 & U2023 are showing now.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well I don't feel like looking up the codes because I'm tired, but I believe U0100 and U0115 are lost comms with the ECM. Not sure about the SCT, I have the Mini Maxx.

However, the truck may be puking because you over filled the system. I run mine, as do quite a few 6.4 guys, low. The new, updated degas bottles have their marks a bit lower. I think mine is slightly below the bottom line when cold and just about half way between cold and warm when the truck is at temp.

Just like when you replace the coolant in any vehicle, you should also replace the radiator cap. I put on a new STANT cap I picked up for ~$8. They are better than the OEM stock caps. Supposedly the new Ford caps have been updated to work better.

Two things I would suspect being the coolant problem:
1) Needs a new cap/coolant level too high
2) The coolant mixture might not be right.

Make sure you put exactly 3.5-4.0 gallons of coolant in the system. Any less than that and you might be too diluted. Having a bad cap will cause the cooling system to lose pressure. With the pressure too low, the boiling point will also lower and allow the coolant to boil if it's not mixed right.

Regarding the codes, it's probably a loose wire or something that didn't get reconnected. It also might be a bad/frayed wire somewhere in your harness. I'd google all those codes and run through the proper diagnosis of them.

Just my two cents. More information would help, like the driving conditions in which it puked, what the coolant temps are showing while driving, etc...
Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 PM

Puked under normal conditions. 80-85* days driving around locally, mainly highway. Trips no more than 45 minutes. Coolant temps stayed right around 190 and never went above 192. I pulled a few fuses under the hood as another thread had stated and after restarting it was the 1st time the CEL didn't come on, even after driving.

I had a hunch about the level being "overfull" while between the fill lines. Haven't really heard much of it until now though. I will have to look into a new cap. The coolant is only less than a year old. Radiator was replaced under warranty and the coolant was replaced. At least they claimed it was all replaced. I have my doubts that it was but when I drained some of it for the EGR it looked pretty fresh. I would still like to upgrade to a higher quality coolant soon though.

Also I left it run in the driveway without topping it off and it stayed about an inch or so below the fill line. I drove for about 10 minutes around the block watching ECT stay at 190 the entire time. Didn't puke. I still have the concern in the back of my mind though. Guess I will see what happens tomorrow on my commute to work...
Old 09-04-2013, 06:44 PM

As an update... puked a few more times over longer 20+ minute trips. ECT stays around 194-196. Oil temps stay around 95 according to the SCT. Seems like every time I head up a steady incline and build boost upwards of 20-25 psi or more is when I have the puking issues. I replaced the cap and have been leaving the coolant level a little low and I'm still having the problem. To top it off I just discovered that the coolant hose on the bottom of the degas bottle is leaking. I am assuming due to the o ring. Its a steady drip. 1 day special order from the dealer so I will be replacing that tomorrow evening.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorgey View Post
As an update... puked a few more times ... I just discovered that the coolant hose on the bottom of the degas bottle is leaking. I am assuming due to the o ring. Its a steady drip.
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you are having head gasket issues. If the cooling system is experience high pressures, enough to puke, then it also going to want to push fluid out of any other weak point in the system. The coolant hose on the bottom of the degas bottle is probably not handling this over pressure well and allowing it to fail.

I would look up more in terms of how to do a head gasket leak test. First thing is probably to test with a pressure gauge on the cooling system (search, it's here somewhere). Next, I would assume that coolant would exist in the oil on some small level and fuel would exist in the coolant, again on a small level.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:29 AM

do you have the old style coolant jug? if so, quit topping it off to the cold fill line and just drive the SOB... it'll quit puking when you quit topping it off
Old 09-06-2013, 06:22 PM

I have the old style degas bottle. Have only been keeping the level about an inch or so below the bottom fill line. Just notice some very slight oil residue inside the degas bottle. Signs keep point to HG issues. Though I have read somewhere that a failing oil cooler can possiblly cause these issues? Maybe I'm wrong. Time to due some searching. Sorry guys... Just logged on and read the thread first before searching lol...
Old 09-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Yup I'm thinking head gaskets. Mine puked before egr. Did the delete then puked worse. If you are keeping it a inch below the line and it pulled its 99.9% gaskets. The coolant should only rise about 1.5 inches from cold to hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.