P-0088 Code, HPFP Failure/Replacement ?'s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P-0088 Code, HPFP Failure/Replacement ?'s

Hey fellas.
I just bought this 2010 6.4 in Texas and drove it back to Ohio. I 'test drove' it for about 80 miles before i handed over the check. About 200 miles into the 1000 mile trek home, the CEL came on and an Auto Zone code reader showed it was a P-0088 HPFP High rail pressure. I've been chancing it and driving to and from work for two weeks now, but i need to get it figured out before i buy or pass on an H&S Mini Maxx with DPF/Cat deletes.

I have read close to 100 threads on HPFP failure and the P-0088 codes in these 6.4's, but i still have some questions for my stock truck:

1) I have 143,000 miles and have no knowledge of an extended warranty (if it is transferrable).
2) Is it best to buy the pump (model #?) from Ford and install myself or are there better quality aftermarkets out there for the same money? I cant afford $3000+ to a dealership for their labor.
3) Is there a good way to eliminate the wiring harness or other components that are less likely to fail? I dont want to spend a fortune on the pump if thats not the culprit.
4) I see a lot of guys do the EGR delete at the same time as the HPFP r/r, is there anything else i should look at doing while i am doing this? (hoping to do it cab on but cab off if needbe. going to look at the youtube videos as some suggest).

The truck has no balls when i get on the throttle, but i can still manage 70mph interstate speeds. No hiccups, shuttering, or anything other than power loss.
To the ones that have had this replaced after warranty expiration, what kind of costs were you faced with?

Any help, advice, or comments would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
Lance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Last year Ford released at reflash to specifically address the P0088 problem. Have a Ford dealer check your service history for TSB 12-07-07. You may not actually need to replace the pump. The TSB has received good feed back for resolving P0088 problems.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 AM

Good information, I wasn't aware of that being out. I will check with a dealer. If it hasn't been reflashed, and being its out of warranty, any idea of the cost?

I'd still like to prepare myself for the worst case and get more info on replacing the high pressure fuel pump.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksoot05 View Post
Good information, I wasn't aware of that being out. I will check with a dealer. If it hasn't been reflashed, and being its out of warranty, any idea of the cost?

I'd still like to prepare myself for the worst case and get more info on replacing the high pressure fuel pump.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dealer rates vary by dealer and location. The TSB list the install time. So the dealer hourly rate times listed TSB install time should be close. My dealer, in a rural area, charged less then $100 to do a flash for a different TSB.

There are some write up's, in the online forums, from people who have replaced the pump cab on. Some of these write up's have good info on special tools you'll need.

Maybe you'll have good luck and the TSB flash will fix it.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Assuming the flash doesn't fix it, I would quit driving it until it's fixed. If the HPFP goes out, shards of aluminum and steel will enter your fuel system and can lead to a catastrophic failure. For instance, they can cause an injector to get stuck open, leading to completely melted pistons.

If you want to do it yourself, you can fix it with the cab on. Just search for "HPFP cab on replacement". I think the pumps run around 800-1300 bucks.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max2006 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dealer rates vary by dealer and location. ... My dealer, in a rural area, charged less then $100 to do a flash for a different TSB.

There are some write up's, in the online forums, from people who have replaced the pump cab on. Some of these write up's have good info on special tools you'll need.

Maybe you'll have good luck and the TSB flash will fix it.
Approx $100 is worth the chance versus $1000 for the pump, so I will investigate that route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expirobo View Post
Assuming the flash doesn't fix it, I would quit driving it until it's fixed. If the HPFP goes out, shards of aluminum and steel will enter your fuel system and can lead to a catastrophic failure. For instance, they can cause an injector to get stuck open, leading to completely melted pistons.

If you want to do it yourself, you can fix it with the cab on. Just search for "HPFP cab on replacement". I think the pumps run around 800-1300 bucks.
Thanks you both for the advice. I called two dealerships today and their service guys told me that my VIN didnt appear to have a reflash done, or any reflash for that matter, only a few recalls and routine maintenance.

I made an appointment for tomorrow and will take her in. Hopefully they be able to diagnose and provide a cost that i can manage. Or at most, I can get a good place to start the work if I have to do it myself.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

Also the guy who you bought it from might of put gas in it instead of diesel which will ruin your pump.

So I agree with above about let it sit.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:07 AM

Results from the Dealer Service Dept...

Well, the dealer called me yesterday afternoon and told me it had a code thrown relating to the injection pump. He said they could reflash the PCM (?) and that should fix it. He estimated it at $250 for the reflash at which time I asked a few questions. He informed me that Ford has 'rewritten' this particular reflash and also added that the new TSB doesnt mention a new HPFP. Maybe this was a line of bull, but I gave him the OK and picked it up last night.

No CEL as of yet so we'll give it a few days and see if it did the trick.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksoot05 View Post
Well, the dealer called me yesterday afternoon and told me it had a code thrown relating to the injection pump. He said they could reflash the PCM (?) and that should fix it. He estimated it at $250 for the reflash at which time I asked a few questions. He informed me that Ford has 'rewritten' this particular reflash and also added that the new TSB doesnt mention a new HPFP. Maybe this was a line of bull, but I gave him the OK and picked it up last night.

No CEL as of yet so we'll give it a few days and see if it did the trick.
My understanding is with the latest flash they loosened the parameters with regards to the HPFP that would otherwise throw a CEL. They may just be walking you through the steps as of flash first, pump later. Seeing as how the CEL you were getting is consistent, lets see what the flash does for you. If the pump is trashed it is only going to get worse and if the dealer is dismissing the theory it is bad, perhaps they can work a deal on cost with you should it fall apart later. MY biggest fear for you is if it separates and damages more of the fueling system. As noted previously, it will get even more expensive quick.

$250 seems extremely steep to me. When I bought my 2010 I had my dealer flash to the latest update for fear that the previous owner left something on. This was the case on my 06 when I had bought it. Cost an hour of labor, $90 bucks.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well make sure that AFTER they flash it, they do a full analysis on the pump. A good dealer would have checked the pump using the IDS tool and verified that against normal specs regardless of the flash. Double security. But, as most have found, Ford techs are very limited in capacity and follow the service instructions without thinking outside the box. Hope that's all that is wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.