Limp Mode from DPF on tunes... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:49 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Limp Mode from DPF on tunes...

Well unfortunately I ran into some problems today. I purchased a Spartan tuner a few weeks ago and decided to run the DPF on tunes until I received my exhaust. I was very happy with the gain that I got even from running the 125hp DPF on tune. Everything was great until I decided to return the truck to stock last night to take it in for some minor warranty work (a transfer case seal) and this morning my truck went into limp mode. I read the code and it was DPF Soot Accumulation or a clogged DPF. The shop that was fixing my truck forced the truck into a regen mode to try to clean the DPF and it was unsuccessful. So now I am stuck with a truck that is only running in limp mode until I receive my exhaust in the mail and get rid of the DPF. Spartan claims that their tune couldn't have had anything to do with it, but I am a little leery. It was very coincidental that the next time I turned my truck on after returning it to stock this happened. Of course the DPF isn't covered in my extended warranty so I am out of luck. Has anyone ever had this happen before? Very frustrated being that I was hoping to someday return the truck back to stock to sell the vehicle and put the DPF back on. Pretty bad day to say the least.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2013, 04:47 AM
Premium Member

1. There are machines that can clean your DPF. Forcing a manual regen for a clogged DPF really does nothing. They are lazy and just want to replace it:

You might have to call around diesel repair shops to find someone local that cleans your DPF.

2. Poor man's DPF fix:

3. Take if off and use compressed air the the opposite direction and might work for awhile.

Sorry to hear and good luck..
Old 08-21-2013, 05:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

This makes no sense. So you ran the dpf on tunes with Spartans +125 hp tune right? Then tried to reflash it back to stock to pull the Spartan tuner off? Well then the Spartan tuner did not allow the truck to regen. The truck should have been going into regen the whole time and most likely a lot more frequently. Did you notice it going into regen while tuned?

Also, just wait until your exhaust comes in and pull that thing off. It may or may not work now being as your in limp mode. Good luck man, sounds like Spartan screwed the regen cycles up and left you with the bill. Just my opinion.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:48 PM

Expirobo- That is correct. I ran the the DPF on tunes for a few weeks and then returned the truck back to stock. The next time I drove the truck after returning it to stock was when it went into limp mode. I am beyond frustrated at this point because I have no idea when my exhaust will be here. Honestly I don't recall whether or not it went into regen or not. I don't recall it ever going into it but I can not remember for sure. I truly think the Spartan was the reason it happened. Bad luck if you ask me. Hate to have a bad experience already with the company that everyone speaks so highly about......so for now my truck is parked. Life sucks!!! Wish I could figure out whether it was truly plugged or not without removing it.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryan08 View Post
Expirobo- That is correct. I ran the the DPF on tunes for a few weeks and then returned the truck back to stock. The next time I drove the truck after returning it to stock was when it went into limp mode. I am beyond frustrated at this point because I have no idea when my exhaust will be here. Honestly I don't recall whether or not it went into regen or not. I don't recall it ever going into it but I can not remember for sure. I truly think the Spartan was the reason it happened. Bad luck if you ask me. Hate to have a bad experience already with the company that everyone speaks so highly about......so for now my truck is parked. Life sucks!!! Wish I could figure out whether it was truly plugged or not without removing it.
Your really need to spend some time reading the disclaimer.
You put the device on your truck so you took the risk, they or the dealership did not force you or put the device on your truck without you knowing.

Last edited by GSchretter; 04-17-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:25 AM

Woah! I think you took my post a little too literally! Definitely not trying to file any lawsuits haha! Just simply looking for some friendly advice or seeing if anyone has had similar issues and if they resolved it. THAT IS IT! Like I said, "Bad luck if you ask me" meaning that I am WELL AWARE of the risks that come with doing mods to your truck. I think I have every right to think it was spartan's fault but either way I'm the one who has to deal with it. It's just as simple as that. Hints the reason I am on here looking for opinions/advice. Definitely no lawsuits though sheeesh!
Old 08-22-2013, 04:47 AM
Premium Member

Oh my bad, apologies...
Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSchretter View Post
If you are trying to assemble a class action lawsuit against Spartan (Only way you will obtain any compensation) then you might want to talk to a lawyer first and work on preparing evidence aka proof the device caused the issue.
Maybe you need to spend some time reading too! He just needs help. That's what we're here for.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:40 PM

Update: I turned the truck on and it is still in reduced power. After checking the trouble code with my Spartan it is still reading the DPF Soot Accumulation code. I cleared the code and noticed right when I cleared it the engine light goes off and it says "Drive to clean exhaust" and then a second later the engine light pops back and and goes back into reduced power mode. I'm beginning to think that my DPF sensor may be bad. Reason being, the rear transfer case seal is leaking transmission fluid (waiting for the seal to get here so I can fix) and I noticed that it completely covered the DPF sensor in tranny fluid. I really think it is the sensor now rather then the DPF being completely clogged. Thoughts?
Old 08-22-2013, 05:09 PM

There are 3 pyrometers and 1 high temp pressure sensor in the DPF. Spray some PB Blaster, WD 40, or other penetrating oil on the pressure sensor threads/bung. Try to get it off and do this:

1) Check the wiring and the connector plug for corrosion.
2) Examine the pressure sensor for soot and other debris.

Post a pick of the end of the pressure sensor if you do this. Also, if anyone else has the specs on the pressure sensor regarding millivolts vs pressure, you can check it with a multimeter to see if it's working. Also might check the resistance/ohms to see if it's within spec. I don't have those specs available. If you get the part number off the sensor, we can cross-reference it online and try to grab the specs. Typically they are +/- 5 volts.

Where are you located? I would be willing to let you try my pressure sensor if you live in/near Albuquerque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clogged dpf, dpf on tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.