cracked a piston - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cracked a piston

well boys and girls it finally happened. Cracked the #3 piston. cylinder doesnt look too bad but has lost cross hatching. My issue is this, i have a line on a set of brand new in box rudys coated pistons standard size that retail at 1570. i can get them from a kid that went a different route for 900. this however take my ability to bore to .020 over. Can the 6.4 be re-sleeved to bring cylinder 3 back to stock size allowing me to use these pistons available to me? if so can i just get the one cylinder re-sleeved? can a machine shop do the job and what i am looking at ballpark to sleeve? ive heard they can knock the sleeve out and replace it for a few hundred? also if all this is miraculously possible, where would i get a sleeve? cant find on ford parts website. thanks a ton guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 04:45 AM

6.4 is a parent bore block, so no sleeves. And I don't think the wall thickness is enough at the skirt to be able to sleeve a block back to stock
Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 AM

Ok thanks. I was hoping to bore .080 over and sleeve back to stock but looks like ill go .020 over all around if she's egged out. Anyone have experience with the coated mahle pistons from Rudy's? Good product? Upgrade from oem?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-19-2013, 01:04 PM

I have yet to hear of anyone having problems after they upgrade their pistons to Rudy's or international. Some even machine the lip off the stock pistons and are good to go.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:42 PM

The Rudy's only come in a stock bore though they have mahle for bigger bores. Is mahle a good piston? Just kinda sucks cause they are 1825 coated and the Rudy's are 1500 and I can get em for 900 from a buddy that ordered and went a different route. Just hoping mahle is good if I have to go that route?

Old 08-19-2013, 02:45 PM

Might I ask how exactly you melted the piston? Stuck injector or did you run it hard?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Probably both. Long story short I got a cylinder 3 contribution code at a truck pull last year. Went away and everything seemed fine. 2 months later she needed a cyl 3 injector. No big deal until 2 months ago when I did the CCV mod and saw the stupid amount of blow by. Had plans of tearing down once work slowed down, I'm a contractor and its my work truck as well as dd. nothing works as planned and she gave out last week. I think it may have cracked last summer and finally pieces broke away last week. The piston was cracked all the way through with small chunks missing and the bowl was melted away. I assume it cracked when then and as I drove on the bad injector, I melted the bowl away weakening everything and over time she gave out totally.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:11 AM
Winning DUHHH

Mahle is a good piston, the coating they put on is more of a sales gimmick. I haven't seen any notable benefits from them. Except when they break...they get just as fubar'd

Old 08-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiderius22 View Post
Probably both. Long story short I got a cylinder 3 contribution code at a truck pull last year. Went away and everything seemed fine. 2 months later she needed a cyl 3 injector. No big deal until 2 months ago when I did the CCV mod and saw the stupid amount of blow by. Had plans of tearing down once work slowed down, I'm a contractor and its my work truck as well as dd. nothing works as planned and she gave out last week. I think it may have cracked last summer and finally pieces broke away last week. The piston was cracked all the way through with small chunks missing and the bowl was melted away. I assume it cracked when then and as I drove on the bad injector, I melted the bowl away weakening everything and over time she gave out totally.

What did it do when it finally came apart ? Just curious because I haven't had any codes with my truck at all . It just started feeling like its down on power . It is also seeing some very high egt's if I get on it . The funny part is if I am just driving it normal everything reads normal . Nothing gets out of line if you just drive it normal . It just feels like you are pulling a trailer all of the time.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:47 PM

Well here's the thing. It was most likely cracked for a long time. You'll know when it goes all the way. White smoke that'll shut a road down and it'll miss like crazy and there WILL be codes. Good indicator of your issue is to check blow by. Drive it til it's up to temp and pull the oil fill cap and see what's what.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.