Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil in exhaust

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  pyro2nite 
#1 ·
I have an 08 6.4 Powerstroke. Had to replace turbo due to seal leak. Before I replaced turbo, about 3 quarts of oil went into downpipe and exhaust. Does anyone know how long it will take to burn off?

#4 ·
Shouldn't hurt anything but why not remove that section and clean it out. Small driveway job.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
I disagree with it being OK. I have a subscription to diesel power and last month of the month before month they got a letter from a head honcho for engines at caterpillar or something. He said fuel does not clog dpf's it burns completely off in regen(makes perfect sense it burns completely in the combustion chamber as well). What clogs the DPF according to him is the ash generated by the oil(which gets put into the exhaust in trace amount from cylinder walls, etc). This fact is reinforced but the fact a lot of diesel oils say "low ash formula". So IMHO I would try to drain it? or replace it? But if its running fine then drive on cowboy just passing on what I know.

#6 ·
I disagree with it being OK. I have a subscription to diesel power and last month of the month before month they got a letter from a head honcho for engines at caterpillar or something. He said fuel does not clog dpf's it burns completely off in regen(makes perfect sense it burns completely in the combustion chamber as well). What clogs the DPF according to him is the ash generated by the oil(which gets put into the exhaust in trace amount from cylinder walls, etc). This fact is reinforced but the fact a lot of diesel oils say "low ash formula". So IMHO I would try to drain it? or replace it? But if its running fine then drive on cowboy just passing on what I know.
If it burns completely in the combustion chamber a DPF would not be needed. That black smoke is un burnt fuel. When it goes through the DPF it will burn it down to ash. So overtime the DPF will fill. Im not a caterpillar honcho, but i did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.