cylinder misfire, glow plug codes. opinions please! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 10:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question cylinder misfire, glow plug codes. opinions please!

Hey folks,

I've been looking at a 2009 Ford F-350 (supercab, auto tranny, 4x4) on a used dealer's lot. 113,000 on the clock and it doesn't appear to have spent much time off the pavement at all. Pretty clean and tight.

However, it has an issue that I'd like to get some opinions on. I have read lots of related threads, here and elsewhere, but nothing that completely describes the whole of what I'm observing.

First of all, it's throwing these codes: P0302 (cylinder 2 misfire) and P0672 (glow plug circuit on cylinder 2).

When I first started the truck, it fired right up, but I could detect a very slight skip. When I dropped it into gear, the skip/miss at idle was much more apparent. No smoke at the exhaust during any of this.

I headed out onto the road, and leaving from a stop, the engine really chugged at about 1700 RPM and for a moment I thought we weren't going anywhere. Pushed past that point, she smoothed out quite a lot and actually felt pretty good up and down the road. Even under hard acceleration, there was no smoke at the pipe. Once warmed up, the rough spot leaving from a stop was still present but less severe.

I don't really know much about blow-by, but when I pulled the oil cap there was only a very small amount of smoke and no discernible pressure when I placed my hand over it -- but maybe that's meaningless.

I suspect it's unrelated, but just for full information, my only other observation (and this was made before ever getting the keys) was that the driver's side frame rail, sorta between the front of the cab and the rear of the engine compartment, had some diesel on it. Damp, but not dripping. I figured it was just a fuel supply or return line seeping somewhere and not a big issue.

Anyway, I'd like to get some opinions, hunches, or whatever you have to offer about likely scenarios. Without any smoke at the tailpipe, can I be pretty confident that this isn't something that would require a rebuild? The dealer said (with a hint of confusion; bit of a language barrier) it'd be fine if I wanted to take it to a mechanic… I talked to the Ford house about a compression test but after studying more on the matter in these forums it seems that I may do better just to ask for a diagnosis of the cause of the codes in general(?). Might get lucky and find it's just a wiring harness or something?

Thanks for your time!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.