cab on HG job? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 06:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cab on HG job?

Ok, I've been reading around a lot of forums, and everybody says basically the same thing. Head Gaskets are a no no unless the cab come up... I Completely understand that it would be easier to do with the cab off... how ever, I'm thinking about doing this in my garage of simplicity reasons. with that being said everybody says that it's not possible, but I've seen pictures of a shop that did it with the cab on, and they said it wasnt too bad... I actually talked with them on Facebook just to get here opinion, and they said the hardest part he could remember was getting the UpPipe unbolted from the turbo... makes sense considering there is no room right there...

basically I'm just seeing if others have successfully done the job with the cab on, or if they guys i talked to can just work mircles... I would rather lift the cab, but the auto/hobby shop on the base doesn't have a 2 post lift... nearest one is 45 min drive away, and I'm not making that drive everyday for that if I don't have to.

Also, I read a lot about making sure to get the heads checked for warping... how much is that around? never had anything sent to a machine job for anything at all... and if they are warped and need to get brought back to flat, whats the ball park cost for getting them machined...

As of right now I don't believe my gaskets are blown, how ever I want to do the studs before that happens, plus i would like to run a higher tune than my spartan 250 tune...

Also, I read that when you pull the heads that you need to replaced the fuel lines going from the rail to the injectors... they are aparently a one time use item... anything else I should know about so that I don't have to pull everything apart again to fix something I forgot...

last thing, some ford service rep said something about the factors head bolts snapping or something when trying to remove.. I don't believe this but I thought that I'd ask... and they are 'bolts" right, and the after market is clearly a stud with a nut on the top... ok I think this wraps up my confusion.

thanks for any info.

Josh

Last edited by countryboy73703; 08-09-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 AM

I'm in the same boat as you man. I've talked to enough people that have done this that I feel pretty confident it can be done. Snap on makes a torque adapter part # SRD35 that is made just for doing cab on head stud jobs on powerstrokes. I've also talked to a guy who jacked the cab up and but 2x4s between the frame and body to get enough clearance. I'm going to start tearing down mine on Labor Day weekend. Good luck!!

Oh and as far as head milling/truing costs. Maryland diesel performance quoted me $300 per head to have their machine shop do it. I don't know of that's high or not, but they have several 6.4s that are north of 1000hp with this machine work so I feel it's worth not having to worry about anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-13-2013, 05:20 AM

so your going to do the head gaskets and leave the cab on?

just making sure cause I've had mixed answers on other forums cause the forum was read properly before posting. 300 doesn't seem bad.. I wonder how much it is just to get them checked and thats it... cause if they are still good to go then I'm not gonna touch them ya know... and that snap on part, I'm assuming can be found at their website?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:30 AM

Yes sir I'm going to do it can on. The issue people have with cab on is the back bolts are hard to get to and you have to torque these studs down to 275 ft pds. But between being able to jack the cab up of you have to and snap ons adapter they have, I don't see any reason it can't be done. I understand its probably way easier to do it by lifting the cab but not everyone has a lift.

You definitely need to get your heads milled even they are fine. They won't be 100% flat when you remove them and when you go to torque it down without having it milled the heads won't seal properly and can warp. Definitely need to have that done.

Yes the snap on tool is on there website. It's $60 I believe.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06harley91 View Post
Yes sir I'm going to do it can on. The issue people have with cab on is the back bolts are hard to get to and you have to torque these studs down to 275 ft pds. But between being able to jack the cab up of you have to and snap ons adapter they have, I don't see any reason it can't be done. I understand its probably way easier to do it by lifting the cab but not everyone has a lift.

You definitely need to get your heads milled even they are fine. They won't be 100% flat when you remove them and when you go to torque it down without having it milled the heads won't seal properly and can warp. Definitely need to have that done.

Yes the snap on tool is on there website. It's $60 I believe.

alright good info... let me know how it goes since I won't be tackling this job until october or november... down here in south texas it's like summer year around, and hot as heck... keep me posted..
Old 08-13-2013, 05:52 AM

Will do man. I'll do I write up on it for sure.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06harley91 View Post
Will do man. I'll do I write up on it for sure.

just realized your truck was lifted.. thats gonna be a fun job.. also I read that the bolts on the back of the turbo can be rediculous to get off, I would start soaking them a week before if it were me... other then that I look forward to the write up, and a think a lot of people will find it very useful since there's not many out there for HG's... since they are "practically impossible" good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.