09 6.4l powerstroke p0087 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-06-2013, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
09 6.4l powerstroke p0087

i have an '09 f350 6.4l powerstroke that keeps throwing p0087. Seems like it runs good till the throttle gets to a certain point then acts like its starving for fuel and throws code and striaght to limp mode. It has dpf and egr delete, sct tuner, 4" turbo back exhaust. i dont know if its low pressure fuel pump not supplying fuel to hp pump or if its the hp fuel pump going out. Any ideas would be great. Fuel filters have been changed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Dose it with Quart of power service silver. I've seen it unstick the regulator in an hpfp. Truck is still running great. Owner uses 16oz per fill up now
post #3 of 8 Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is this something i can get at oriellys or autozone or do i need to order online? Thanks for the post!!
post #4 of 8 Old 08-30-2013, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You can get it at walmart or any auto parts store

08 F350 cc/sb 4X4
h&s minimaxx, 5" flo pro, 4" down pipe, no limit cold air intake, dirty diesel EGR delete with intake elbow, 6.0 exhaust manifolds, custom up pipes, ported intake manifold, Apex 71mm LP turbo, Rudy's cold side pipe, diesel site coolant and transmission filter, diesel site intercooler boots, ccv mod, bilstein shocks, gogo dd solenoid, HID lights, Airdog II 165, PMF traction bars, PMF drag link, moshimoto aluminum radiator
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Running into very similar problems. Just had the truck in the shop and ran through. Ran great for a month now seems like starving of fuel at highway speeds when trying to accelerate. Any resolution found with the Power Service Silver?
post #6 of 8 Old 10-10-2015, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
power service usually helps out a sticking regulator... if the pump simply can't keep up with demand under power, it's not going to fix it

are you sure the shop you're using is changing both fuel filters every 10k miles and not just the one under the hood?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've been servicing the fuel filters myself. I've noticed top is normally great and bottoms dirty. Bottom got changed last night and left top alone. And doing about every 8,000-10,000 miles. My CEL hasn't come back on today but I have a loss of power anywhere from 2,500-3,000 RPM. I'm just trying to eliminate possibilities to see where my issue is.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Your Local Windex Brewer

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
What are you monitoring with?

The problem with PS is it cleans... It cleans very well... Drunk is right, on occasion you can fix a sticky regulator but if that's already a problem you have a lot of other crap in the system. When all of that sediment, deposit, and whatever else is in your fuel system/hpfp ends up becoming dislodged it has to go somewhere. Where is that fuel supposed to go??? Injectors... If you are already having issues the hpfp is probably already on its way out. Its kinda like stiction on a 6.0, once its there you can deal with it for a little while with archoil. But eventually you will be replacing injectors. It is just the way things work.

As for your loss of power, we need more to go off of. Personally, when you consider the fact you already have a fuel pressure code... It means to me your hpfp isn't long for this world. Could very well be you got water past the hfcm or some other debris got in there. Again, without knowing numbers its very possible you have other issues causing your top end performance to tank. Now might be a good time to drop into a shop and have it properly diagnosed. I would start saving for that hpfp, and you really do want to catch it before it grenades. Its a lot cheaper to just replace a bad pump that hasn't taken the rest of the fuel system with it. Those injectors aren't cheap and neither is the labor to flush the tank and lines.

2008 F350 SRW CCSB FX4 - Airaid CAI, FloPro 5" straight pipe, SCT X4 Tuned by Gearhead and RCD, Monitored by CTS
-Matthew

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode