Lower Radiator hose - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 04:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lower Radiator hose

Has anyone attempted to change out the lower raditor hose that goes up to oblivion on the drivers side,? I have a leak and it seems to be coming from that connection that i can barely see. If anyone has, does it seem as difficult as it looks? and is that one long hose? or is the connection i'm seeing next to the bott. of the radiator a connection point also and should i just change out that part out to. ? I know lots of questions but 'm tired of adding coolant once a week. Its seems that is the leak point because if i shake that hose it stops leaking for a day or so .......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 AM

Its easy to do you just pull the metal clips or wire thing with a pick. Then pull the hose of and pop the new one on. Just be sure to drain coolant first so you don't get a bath.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-06-2013, 07:13 AM

It will disconnect at the bottom under the radiator two desperate hoses forgot to add that

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 AM

HOW do you get to the upper connection. seemed like there was a lot in the way of it I couldn't even put my hand up there. I didn't try very hard but I will get back under there with a light and see. thanks so pull the clip and it pops off? and than the new one pops on? it looked a little difficult but I half azz ed on my attempt to see how hard it was. Thanks man i'll give it a try
Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 AM

Yeah it was simple you shouldn't have a problem
Old 08-06-2013, 12:46 PM

how did you get to the top connection I'm assuming that is the lower Water pump outlet? that looks like my hands should be about 3 times smaller lol I cold not even put my hand near it. I was just wondering if there is something I need to remove to get to it.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:50 PM

I had a pick tool that I reached up in there with to hook the wire
Old 11-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Does anyone have a part number for the new (updated) upper and lower radiator hoses. Ford dealership said they were around $120 each, plus its going to take probably an hour or two for labor, so Im looking, probably, at close to $500 for just two hoses!

And maybe a good place to buy them. And maybe the best coolant to put back in, if I decide to do it myself.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 PM

I've got a 2010 and just changed both my upper and lower hoses along with the two thermostat's and gasket. Here is the link from the guy I bought the kit from on ebay. $135 for the kit and they are the new white end hoses with the double oring

hope this helps

Ford 6 4L Diesel Motorcraft Thermostats and Hoses RT 1212 KM 5113 KM 5058 | eBay
Old 11-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

good kit at a good price.

if your going to proceed with this yourself then do the following

Make sure you have a new upper and lower hose.

Remove the degas bottle cap.

Remove the drain plug from the bottom drivers side of the radiator with a bucket to catch the rad fluid.

Once drained get under the truck and you will see a connection in the middle remove the clip and separate it from the hose going to the passenger side of the rad. you will take a bath there is no way around it

Now stay under the truck and its a tight fit but you need a pick of some type you will be able to reach up with your arm and get that clip off the lower water pump connection.

The install of the hose is much easier as you just have to press the hose onto their connections make sure its quiet out and you hear that clip snap into its groove. the lower connection in the middle always fights me a bit just make sure its indexed and try to push it together as straight as possible.

Now onto the top hose you may need to tape a pic to a long screw driver or something to get the top waterpump connection the top rad side it easily accessed.

Replace with new hose!

You likely do not have a radiator vac refill system but you also didnt drain the block oil and fuel coolers so you can get away with this method and if your still worried go for a trip to the dealer to have them purge the system of air if any.

Quote:
Filling and Bleeding without RADIATOR REFILLER
NOTICE:
Engine coolant provides freeze protection, boil protection, cooling efficiency and corrosion protection to the engine and cooling components. In order to obtain these protections, the engine coolant must be maintained at the correct concentration and fluid level in the degas bottle. Failure to follow these instructions may result in damage to the cooling system. To maintain the integrity of the coolant and the cooling system:
• add Motorcraft Premium Gold Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent. Always fill the cooling system with the same type of coolant that was drained from the system. Do not mix coolant types.
• do not add orange-colored Motorcraft Specialty Orange Engine Coolant with Bittering Agent (US). Mixing coolants may degrade the coolant's corrosion protection.
• do not add alcohol, methanol, brine or any engine coolants mixed with alcohol or methanol antifreeze. These can cause engine damage from overheating or freezing.
1. NOTICE: For diesel engine, do not add Motorcraftฎ Diesel Cooling System Additive when refilling the cooling system with new coolant. An excessive amount of additive may cause formation of gels that may cause coolant flow restriction, plugging of passages and overheating.
NOTICE:
For diesel engine, when refilling the cooling system with new coolant, verify that the specified coolant is used. Not all coolants contain a nitrite additive package. Failure to have nitrite in the cooling system may result in major corrosive damage to the engine cooling system components.
NOTE:
For diesel engine, when reusing the coolant that was drained from the cooling system, check the antifreeze and anticorrosion level of the coolant. Refer to Coolant Test — Diesel Engine in this section.
NOTE:
Failure to block the radiator off will require more time before the thermostat will open. Position a piece of cardboard on the driver's side half of the radiator.
2. NOTE: The degas bottle cap must be loose so that the cooling system does not get pressurized.
Fill the degas bottle to the maximum fill line. • Recommended coolant concentration is 50/50 ethylene glycol to distilled water.
▪ Maximum coolant concentration is 60/40 for cold weather areas.
▪ Minimum coolant concentration is 40/60 for warm weather areas. • Install the degas bottle cap until it starts to ratchet. Back the degas bottle cap off one-half turn.
3. Start and idle the engine until the coolant level stabilizes. 4. Refill the degas bottle to the maximum fill line.
• Install the degas bottle cap until it starts to ratchet. Back the degas bottle cap off one-half turn. 5. Run the engine at 3,000 rpm for 2 minutes. 6. Bring the engine to an idle.
• Determine if the thermostat has opened by feeling the temperature of the radiator tubes on the passenger side of the radiator. If the tubes are cool then the thermostat has not opened. If the tubes are warm or hot then the thermostat has opened.
2008 F-250, 350, 450, 550 Super Duty, 7/2007
303-03-5 Engine Cooling 303-03-5
GENERAL PROCEDURES (Continued)
7. If the coolant level has dropped below the minimum fill line then refill the degas bottle to the maximum fill line. • Install the degas bottle cap until it starts to ratchet. Back the degas bottle cap off one-half turn.
8. Repeat Steps 5 through 7 until the thermostat opens.
• The coolant level will rise before the thermostat opens due to thermal expansion. The coolant level will drop after the thermostat opens due to air exiting the radiator.
9. Repeat Steps 5 and 7 until the coolant level stabilizes. 10. Stop the engine and remove the cardboard from the radiator. 11. Restart and idle the engine for 5 minutes to stabilize the coolant temperature. 12. Fill the degas bottle to 20 mm (0.787 in) above the maximum fill line.
• Install the degas bottle cap. 13. Verify that the cardboard has been removed from the radiator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.