Occasional rough idle, no smoke, no codes, no symbols - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Occasional rough idle, no smoke, no codes, no symbols

Hi Guys
I bought my first diesel, a 2009 F350 w/ 20K miles on it. I have since put on 30K miles, about 15K of those towing a 33' Montana. on the last trip the engine started to run rough after idling smoothly. There also was a loss of power from a stop, especially towing the 5er. there was no 'check engine' light, no 'wrench' light, no smoke. the rough idle went away after I shut down the engine and restarted. I took the truck to a ford dealer and they said it was the #2 injector and the EGR. I don't know how they determined that as there was no check engine light on. since they couldn't work on it for 7 days I continued the trip. the dealer gave me a contact with another ford dealer where I was doing to be for a week. This dealer said they couldn't take the word of another ford dealer. after 3 days they couldn't find anything or duplicate the problem but replaced the EGR, I think for lack of anything else to do and it was easy. The truck drove fine the rest of the trip. About 1500 miles. when I was home moving and parking the 5th wheel the engine started running rough again while it was idling. And again, no lights, no smoke. and again ran ok after shutting down and restarting. I put a OBDII on it and no codes. any ideas?

Last edited by triggerhappy; 08-02-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: misspell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Take it in again. If it is an injector issue and it goes untreated, it can do some major damage... You should still be within the 5 year 100k engine warranty coverage. Unless you have an extension plan as well. Hope your maintenance is up to date and verifiable...
Old 08-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took the truck in to the local Ford dealer. they found the high pressure fuel pump to be bad. Not only that but the fuel pump sent metal savings throughout the fuel system. they replaced all the injectors, fuel lines. It took a week and the dealer said it was about an $8000 job, but was under warranty. Why the other two dealers couldn't find that I don't know, but this dealer found the problem in a couple of hours.
hope this may help others.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:29 AM

Dealers are like doctor offices, doctors are like the diesel technicians. They are only as good as their experiences. This is why 2nd/3rd opinions are a good idea even though it is somewhat frustrating at times.

Let us know how things continue to ride for you. Interested in seeing if you do have further issues.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I hear ya, but not all the doctors come from the same school. all Ford dealers buy vehicles from Ford factory (school). I would think that the mechanics at the Ford dealers would be able to call up Ford w/ questions, talk to engineers about problems and help solve them.
I will definitely let you know how the repair goes, hopefully it will be OK.
I did buy an extended warranty (not from the ford dealer) that will ad on another year. does anyone know if it is possible to extend that warranty or buy an extended warranty from Ford at this point in time?
thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.