6.4 blows-up again, gas engine swap options? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 6.4 blows-up again, gas engine swap options?

I have a 2008 Job 1 truck that blew-up at 80K miles despite good maintenance. Ford ate that $15K bill. I immediately deleted the dpf system thereafter and used the mild tune from the programmer. Another 40k miles pass by and the truck blows-up again... this time due to an injector hanging open and melting the piston (#2 cylinder). Ford is handing me a $16K bill this time since it is over 100k miles.

I bought this truck with a preconception that good maintenance on a robust diesel should give me a reliable truck for at least 200,000 miles. I apparently was na´ve in my thinking regarding the 6.4L.

I cannot bring myself to layout $16K on replacing this motor with another 6.4 that can not warn the driver or save itself before enter catastrophic failure. This second time was instantaneous and without any symptoms.

I would rather swap the engine to something more reliable at this point. I know it is unique to want to swap away from a diesel, but has anyone heard of someone getting a 460 into a 2008-2010 F250? I am not crazy about the other standard choices of those years (5.4 or the 6.7 V10), and at this point a carbureted engine is on the table. The transmission in my truck is fine, but I would be comfortable with a manual ZF transmission if is helps with the swap options.

Is there any other choices for swapping a gas motor into a 2008?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You could possibly swap a gasser, but a cummins swap has been done in these trucks before and will be much easier. A gas swap is ultra rare, thus making it even more complicated and expensive.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Stuck open injectors aid in long crank times, rough idling and white smoke at startup and black smoke or hazing depending on acceleration. This of course all depends on how bad it is. The truck could feel like its missing when accelerating too. Plus you'd be making oil to some degree. Might not of had a computer tell ya but I would think the truck should have told ya in one way or another.

To your question. I'd image that any swap would be costly because of all the electronics involved. Unless you plan to swap out the gauge cluster and what not.

You may also be able to find a recked truck and just rip the motor out of that one.

2010 Ford F250 Super Cert Of Title-Slvg&slvg Rebild Title Pickup Truck for sale in Tampa South, FL at Copart Auto Auction Lot 14122313

I was unfortunate enough to have owned a 05 F150 with the 5.4. I had a new motor installed at 36k because of a stuck injector. It happened extremley quick and I felt like I was going to be shaken out of my truck. Take it how ya want. It happens and it wasnt a 6.4. Threads like this make me cringe but it could happen with new and old. Plenty of youtube clips out there of Dodges and Chevys too.

Navistar/International continues to manufacture the 6.4 based off of its success. Granted there are some detailed differences between what Navistar and what Ford produced but the similarities are plentiful.

TerraStar - Utility Truck - Commercial Duty | International Trucks.

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Right, I was having a hard time finding information on the internet regarding a swap other than to a Cummins. That appears to be roughly a $10K swap if I perform the labor.

Regarding the symptoms the idle was really rough and the smoke out the exhaust was blue. I found a lot of oil in the CAC, turbos, connecting pipes, etc. Apparently the #2 cylinder blow-by was pushing the oil out of the crankcase and into the oil fill tube, with the overflow venting into the air intake. I also found a bent pushrod on #2, and a camera down the injector shaft revealed the piston was split down the middle.

There are several people on the Spartan board who run a 6.4 on hot tunes for years without any issues (mainly due to several key aftermarket parts and deletes). At this point I do not tow enough to commit to financing a bulletproof 6.4 build since I am already in need of a long block (the Ford Tech's opinion was the cam shaft was bent, hence a long block was quoted).

If I pull a engine I will have to also pull the computer, so the auction or wrecked truck approach is likely the path forward.

I guess I will document for a possible write-up... someone else may find themselves in this same boat one day.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

No way you're going to execute a clean Cummins swap for $10k.

as for the 6.4 computer? It's mounted through the firewall, not on the engine.

If you shop around, you can find a good running pull-out 6.4 for $3-5k.

If you're snake-bit by the truck/engine/etc, either sell it as-is or put another 6.4 in it and sell it and buy a Cummins. You could light the thing on fire and go buy a Dodge diesel and still be out less money than doing an OEM-quality Cummins conversion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.4, engine swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.