Coolant Puking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 07:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant Puking

Hey heres my story, I did a egr delete, dpf delete, h&s mini maxx tuner.
I run my mini maxx on hot damn 300.
In the last 15 000km my truck has puked twice. Not alot, just a little. Enough to see around my degas bottle.
Now it doesnt puke or use any coolant while driving. Not going to lie I had to show off to a tuner car once ... well I put him in his place... I buried the speedo and got home and could smell some anti-freeze noticed the puking then. So that was one time. The next time is basically the same story. So its puked twiced since then I have monitored the trucks coolant daily. No lose of coolant other than those two times NOW my eot ranges from 194-198 normal driving and ect 194-198 aswell. Driving it harder or pulling a small load at 120km/h I see eot 205-208 and ect 196-201 I have seen a 14 degree difference before scared the crap out of me. I have at times thought my oil cooler was failing but if I drive the truck normal my temps are normal driving down the highway at 120-130km/h they are in the 200 range. with a 8-10 degree difference.
Do I have a bag head gasket did I lift the heads ORRR please just tell me its a oil cooler failing and it can cause puking please please! (cause its getting changed next month)
Suggestions PLEASE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2013, 07:32 PM

Oh truck has 214 000km's on it 2008 job 1. Just put a new rad in due to a cracked rad. if that helps any....
Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM

Actually thinking about it a little more the first time it puked was when I got all the deletes (degas bottle was fuller than it should have been) Second time was the same I took it upon my self an filled it to the second cold line towards the top not the bottom cold line and it puked again now it sits perfectly under the second line while its cold. Starting to wonder if Its just from filling it the extra half a inch both times caused it to puke.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I keep mine bout 1/4" under the cold mark. Keep an eye on your deltas..
Old 05-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I keep mine under the cold fill line as well, if its over that line it'll spit up a little but under hard throttling.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 PM

Oh I love you guys... LOL
That made me throw my hands in the air.. No I was kind thinking its cause its over filled a bit ill drop it below the cold line and see if that stops it. Before I filled it last time it only puked once then never puked again untill I topped it back up to the line so fingers crossed.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 PM

Keep us posted. If your deltas start hanging around *12 difference start saving for a new oil cooler.. Good luck..
Old 05-31-2013, 06:32 AM

I would replace the degas bottle cap just to rule that out. Also if your deltas stay that close it sounds like your oil cooler is fine. It is normal to get a little higher deltas when towing. The oil cooler delta test is done unloaded.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

I've got one for you guys as well. I drove my truck home from work which is a 6mile trip and when I got home after 5 min of it sitting my degas bottle is almost full and I am leaking coolant from the block somewhere. it is running down the edge of the front cover and I cannot tell where due to there being no room to see. The truck was up to temp before I got home. The last time I filled the bottle I filled it to just over half of the cold fill mark.

The only odd thing that I have seen with this truck is about a week and a half ago I got on it about half throttle from a small roll and noticed when I looked in my right mirror all I saw was white and not soot. But since then everything has been looking and running normal to what I have seen.

Time to get rid of it? jk
Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 AM

I hate to say it but it could very well be a headgasket. Mine did the same thing and since your radiator just went out. That could be the sign that it is building too much pressure. I am sure i may get a few nay sayers but from a guy that has litterally replaced dam$ near everything under the hood and spent easy $15k doing so, i know the $hit that breaks. I have an 08 job 1 and have had bad injectors, cracked heads, and blown head gaskets. I discovered the coolant blowing out around 40k miles and me being new to the diesel world found out the hard way that means blown head gaskets possibly. I thought the quick fix would be to lower the coolant in the degas bottle and let er ride. I drove it for another 40 k miles before i had someone look at it. The coolant puking became more frequent and would only do it under high hp settings and at high speeds. ie racing a tuner car . When i had the tech check for blown hgs he verified by testing the coolant for exhaust gasses. This is my first suggestion for you. Go get your coolant checked for exhaust gasses. It is a quick and easy check. If it doesn't show signs of exhaust gasses your not out of the woods yet. I had my headgaskets replaced only to find out that the heads were cracked and boost was causing my coolant over preasurization. I then had to take the thing completely apart and replace the heads. Lukily the shop warrantied their work and it only cost me the price of the heads. While the truck was apart the first time i had the injectors tested and 6 out of the 8 were low flow. So i replaced all 8. I had the new ones checked again when the cab was off to replace the cracked heads and they tested good. Proved to me that the shop could tell the difference between good injectors and bad ones. I also replaced the degas bottle with the updated version on the i think 09s and definitely the 10s. Did a full EGR delete as well as replaced the glow plugs, water pump, wiring on the HPFP "(Issues with it rubbing causing truck not to start"), both radiator hoses for the new 2 o-ring version, thermostats, and intercooler boots while it was apart. I realize i may have changed a few more things than most but i didn't want to have to take the thing apart because i didn't replace something that was easy to get to while the cab was off.

Also put on
head studs - goes without saying
Tial wastegate
MBRP intercooler pipe
Diamond EYE downpipe
new serpentine belts
flushed the powersteering fluid
flushed the trans fluid
added a easily replaceable external trans filter. (Allison spin on type)

I don't mean to be a downer but you shouldn't write it off as a over full degas bottle. That is just a bad idea. Get her tested and find out for yourself what the issues are. The 08s are $hit IMO. They have the most issues because of being a new model year and we both have Job1s. Which are the worst of the worst.

Let us know what happens bud,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.