Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Done with this leaky radiator....

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  kosmo04 
#1 ·
Well my relatively "slow" famous radiator coolant leak has now developed into a puddle every time I park the truck. I'm pulling it out tonight, and taking it to a radiator shop to see if it can be repaired ($150), but if not I may just have them do a custom aluminum (don't ask) or order a Vista Pro ($600?). Doesn't look to bad to remove, maybe a couple hours over some beer and pizza, but we shall see. I'll probably end up doing my EGR delete at the same time as well. I'll keep everyone posted.

#3 ·
Awesome!! What route have you decided to take? Can it get repaired?

Tom

#4 ·
I'm going to take it to a radiator repair shop and see if they can just repair it. Glad I have my cheap jeep to drive in the meantime while the trucks down.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
How was the rad to take out & about how long did it take you? Also how many beer?

#6 ·
Really it only took about an hour, maybe a little longer, and this was our first time. Luckily there is an awesome video on YouTube that walks you through the entire process and makes it easy. This is a 2 beer job I'd say! Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
#7 ·
man i just must be an idiot. It took be what seemed like 9hrs. I couldn't find that freaking video and had to figure out on my own what needed to be taken off. I went with a vista pro $563 shipped.

#9 ·
I also did have a master VW technician with me as well, and a full shop. However, both of us doing this probably took about an hour or so off of it compared to me doing it the first time. That video on youtube it key though, walks you through it and was very helpful.

#10 ·
yeah, i should have looked a little harder for that video, instead of giving up after not finding it on the first search..

#11 ·
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I say about my vehicle on this website(Powerstroke.org), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my truck, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues.
Now that's funny man!

You should also put in there an older boy made you do it :D

#12 ·
i thought about it but i leave that up to the reader. :)

#14 ·
Alright a little bit of an update. Radiator was repaired and returned to me on Monday, for a grand total of $65. The inner tank cranks in that bottom corner, and since it's aluminum and so thin, they can't weld it and have to pretty much solder it, which is not bad at all. As I mentioned earlier my upper radiator hose was leaking so I bought the updated one with the double O-rings. Also decided to go ahead and buy the coldside intercooler pipe, and replace the factory restricted crimped one. Put it all back together last night, pressure tested the system and all was in the green and it held a vacuum. Filled her up, and we were back in business. So far no leaks, everything seems to be great, but I also haven't had a chance to get back under there and double check due to the constant rain the past two days.

On another note, I loosened the hot side pipe going into the intercooler to make it a little easier to move things around and the amount of oil that comes from the crank case vent into the intake system is unbelievable. Although this is normal, actually seeing it puddle there over the period of a couple hours and how much there was will make me do the vent mod sometime this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.