Loud something, clunk, force and Gone? Mystery - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Loud something, clunk, force and Gone? Mystery

F350 4 door super duty with 52K on it. I had the EGR replaced at 25K and am ready to get the EGR delete kit, cooler kit and larger exhaust. All the extended warranties are expired and I can work with it now.

My 6.0 is located in Elko Nevada and pulls a 89' 18' Layton twice a year, but is pissed about that. It almost overheats (seems like it is on fire around the front of the truck after pulling it around) and then the A/C doesn't work for a few days? Truck works without alarms, but pumps hot air for a few days, then magically works a few days later? Dealership can't reproduce the problem which means it doesn't exists - I guess.

BUT last night, driving home with my lovely wife (pulling nothing) it made the weirdest noise. While approaching a Stop light, my truck sounded like a Harley for about 4 second, clunked like someone hit the rear of my truck and then jerked and clunked. I immediately pulled through traffic light and looked the truck over to find nothing; anywhere. This morning - no leaks, nothing changed, nothing loose, nothing scary. BUT I am scared to drive it, maybe the bottom will fall out? Any thoughts? Please let me know.

Last edited by elkonv; 04-27-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Must be transmission or auto-clutch or ??

I took the truck above out for a drive; better to break close to home than on a trip in the mountains. Going into town about 15 miles in the morning, the truck had zero problems. Driving home, I reduced speed from 55 MPH to 10 approaching a stop light, when suddenly loud noise (like a Harley motorcycle) and then a clunk followed by a forward push. It seems to me that it is not the motor but the transmission or auto-shifting gears problems. Any help?
Old 04-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i had the same exact problem but was never able to figure it out and it went away, it only happened when under decel sounded like big mud terrain tires slowing down the WHAM!! scared the crap outta me every time it did it but now it has not happened in the last 4 months or so
Old 05-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Shift solenoids.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0, clunk, f350, loud, noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.