Truck going into limp mode. Code P0088 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck going into limp mode. Code P0088

A week ago after pulling away from a traffic light my truck lost power but stayed running. It also threw code P0088. The outside temp was close to 90. I stopped, turned the truck off then restarted and drove off. This cycle happened 4 more times. If I was able to get the truck up to speed the problem went away. Also, when the temp dropped below 75 the problem went away. I've driven the truck 300 miles since the last incident without an issue. The outside temp has been 60-75 degrees. Yesterday my truck went into limp mode twice before I was able to get home. The outside temp was 83.

CAI filter brand new. Changed out both fuel filters last week.

P0088 points to the hpfp. If the pump is bad why would the truck work flawlessly in cooler temps yet have issues when it warms up outside? Do higher external temps have anything to do with this issue and are simply a coincidence? Could a bad or dirty MAF be a cause of this issue? Bad fuel?

Looking for your thoughts on what the issue could be. Temps here in Houston are beginning to rise so I'm anxious to get a resolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 06:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd be leary of the lift pump before the hpfp. Time to open the fuel supply and check flow and pressure. Could be a clogged filter, etc.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks.

Where does the lift pump reside? Which pump supplies diesel at idle and initial acceleration? The truck runs great once I get to speed. The initial start is when I run into problems.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsudkamp View Post
A week ago after pulling away from a traffic light my truck lost power but stayed running. It also threw code P0088. The outside temp was close to 90. I stopped, turned the truck off then restarted and drove off. This cycle happened 4 more times. If I was able to get the truck up to speed the problem went away. Also, when the temp dropped below 75 the problem went away. I've driven the truck 300 miles since the last incident without an issue. The outside temp has been 60-75 degrees. Yesterday my truck went into limp mode twice before I was able to get home. The outside temp was 83.

CAI filter brand new. Changed out both fuel filters last week.

P0088 points to the hpfp. If the pump is bad why would the truck work flawlessly in cooler temps yet have issues when it warms up outside? Do higher external temps have anything to do with this issue and are simply a coincidence? Could a bad or dirty MAF be a cause of this issue? Bad fuel?

Looking for your thoughts on what the issue could be. Temps here in Houston are beginning to rise so I'm anxious to get a resolution.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same symptoms on my 2008 at 131K. Turned out was HPFP.

Ford has a TSB on this issue the HPFP P/N has been updated to a rev B part.

I have the 200K extended diesel care warranty. Ford sent a rep to my dealer to check fuel system then approved HPFP cab off replacement.

TSB
11-4-22 6.4L - LACKS POWER - DTC P0088

Publication Date: April 27, 2011

FORD: 2008-2010 F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550

This article supersedes TSB 11-4-15 to update the Service Labor Time Standards.

ISSUE:
Some F-Super Duty 250-550 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit a lack of power concern with an intermittent diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0088; at full operating temperature during moderate to heavy acceleration.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Intermittent P0088 diagnostics:

Check all continues memory DTCs. Is DTC P0088 the only code present?
No - do not continue with this procedure. Refer to the Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnostics (PC/ED) to diagnose this concern.
Yes - continue to Step 2
Replace the high pressure pump (HPP). Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04C for HPP replacement.
Both the fuel volume control valve (VCV) and fuel pressure control valve (PCV) adaptive learning parameters must be reset after a HPP replacement. Refer to PC/ED, Section 4, Hard Start/No Start Diagnostic Subroutines step 7 to reset adaptive tables.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8C3Z-9A543-B High Pressure Fuel Pump

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
10-20-10

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110422A 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L Regular Cab: Check DTCs And Replace the HPP Includes Time For Prior Approval, Remove And Install Cab, And Reset Both VCV And PCV Adaptive Learning (Do Not Use with Any Other Labor Operation Except For Other Applicable TSB Articles) 8.9 Hrs.
110422A 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L Super And Crew Cab: Check DTCs And Replace the HPP Includes Time For Prior Approval, Remove And Install Cab, And Reset Both VCV And PCV Adaptive Learning (Do Not Use with Any Other Labor Operation Except For Other Applicable TSB Articles) 9.1 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
9A543 42
Old 05-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

That TSB has been superseded. It's now a reflash to correct this concern.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having the same problem. Truck acts up when its hot and throws the P0088 code.

Super excited to pay big bucks to have the HPFP replaced. I am thinking I should try the reflash to fix first. Is it TSB (is it 12-7-7 ?) before spending the $'s on the replacment.

Anyone had success with it?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonsc View Post
I am having the same problem. Truck acts up when its hot and throws the P0088 code.

Super excited to pay big bucks to have the HPFP replaced. I am thinking I should try the reflash to fix first. Is it TSB (is it 12-7-7 ?) before spending the $'s on the replacment.

Anyone had success with it?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the TSB

TSB
12-7-7

6.4L - LACK OF POWER - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0088

Publication Date: July 17, 2012[/color]

FORD:
2008-2010 F-Super Duty

This article supersedes TSB 11-4-22 to update the Service Procedure. ISSUE:

Some F-Super Duty 250-550 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit a lack of power concern with an intermittent DTC P0088; at full operating temperature during moderate to heavy acceleration. A calibration update is available to resolve this concern.
ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
SERVICE PROCEDURE

Intermittent P0088 diagnostics:

Check all continuous memory DTCs. Is DTC P0088 the only code present?
No - this article does not apply, refer to the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) manual to diagnose this concern.
Yes - continue to Step 2
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 79.05 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at Buy Motorcraft Parts Online | Official Motorcraft Auto Parts Site | FordParts.com.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

P0088

Update to my issue. I have an SCT Extreme. A month back I loaded the tow tune. If I don't punch it when pulling away from a light I have no issues. Additionally, once I go through the 4th trans shift (40 plus mph) I can lean on the pedal more without issues.

When I do lose power, the fuel rail pressure is still over 10000 psi according to my Edge Insight.

My question is what exactly does this high pressure pump do? Once I get to speed (45 mph plus) I can accelerate w/o issues. Could we be experiencing issues with the lift pump?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

HPP

A quick question. Any idea on what the cost would be for an HPP replacement outside of warranty?
Old 07-20-2013, 04:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
Great Im glad to hear all of this, left early this morning to head to work drove 10 miles or so at 60mph no issues got onto some of the back roads 35-45ish mph no issues got down to where i was going slow but just turning into the parking lot BOOM! limp mode wont do anything over 2,000 rpms i turned around went back up the road and i can just very lightly hit the pedal and it will get up to speed but even then it wants to hesitate, not noticing any smoke or any of that coolant levels seem fine oil is good. i turned it off and i restarted it then my check engine light appeard. waiting on my brother so i can use his programmer and pull code. thank goodness this truck is still under warrenty going from what yall have said and my problem...is it going to be a hpfp or lift pump? THanks guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.