6.4 Compression Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 Compression Problem

ok 2008 6.4 with 89,000 miles. Took it to the mechanic and was told low on compression after a compression test. Ended up changing all pistons, rings, rods and everything in the engine. When I got truck back and now 11000 miles into my 12000 mile warranty I had compression checked again and nothing changed after i dropped 7000 into all that work. Now I am being told that the fuel injectors in the pistons that were showing low compression in the first place need to be changed. Im struggling with putting more money into fuel injectors or if the compression problem can be something else. Need to get an answer before warranty is up. So he is telling me that with a bad injector in those pistons I could have hurt the new rings already in 3 months causing same low compression figures in same bad cylinders. Seems fishy please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

What were the compression numbers? Why were you having compression checked anyway? I'm assuming the engine misfires or runs poorly... Injectors will not affect compression...
Old 04-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Truck never ran rough or anything. Heard a knocking noise out of ordinary so took it to the dealer. They diagnosed a lifter rod. So i took it to a different mechanic I was told about. He used his pc for a compression test and cylinder 2 was at 7% cylinder 4 at 5% and cylinder 8 at 4%. Then he told me i needed to replace those pistons. Once he had it all apart he said cylinder walls were fine justshould change all rings and pistons and rods while he was there. So all of that was changed and then I needed a hydroboost fixed the other day so while I was at dealer I asked him to do tests on it since my warranty was almost up. He found all the same values on same cylinders so nothin was different. So took it to guywho did the work and he said cylinder 2 and 4 need new injectors. He also said compression wont get better with new injectors they just wont get worse. so at this point im 7000 in for no reason. Ford mechanics say its something with piston rings not seeding right after his work. What do you think
Old 04-10-2013, 03:19 AM
Premium Member

Wow, let's start from the beginning. What type of knocking noise was it. Did you hear it at idle only? Load, or all the time? Dealer claimed it was a push rod or lifter? Why didn't you have dealer replace the push rod? What it sounds like the other guy did was just a relative compression test. It's a good test, by I would never tear an engine apart based on a relative compression test. plus if compression was that low I would suspect some sort of drive ability concern. Replacing injectors will not improve a base engine concern, neither will injector replacement prevent a base engine concern from getting worse unless an injector is doing damage to the cylinder. How many miles are on the engine? I hate to say it, but this sounds like a bad deal for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.