2009 F350 6.4 Losing coolant?....!!!!! Plz help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2009 F350 6.4 Losing coolant?....!!!!! Plz help

Hey guys hows it goin? I'm about to start working on my cousins 09 6.4,hes running the same mods as my 08,h&s,5inch,cai,still has the egr as of right now.. 95k. He bought the truck off an old man with 90k who bought it new and we started to delete it a week after he purchased it. Here is whats going on,the truck runs perfect and runs great,but...Went to the nascar race at bristol and somehow when we came back out his new coolant cap was a little loose and it had puked some coolant out which I would expect with the cap fairly loose. So we tightened it back and ran across the road to walmart and got a gallon of distilled water to top it back off since it didnt "look to have" lost that much coolant. Motor was pretty cool we added about 3/4 gallon to it. Few days later he drove the truck somewhere and noticed the coolant was down a little from where we added,so continued driving stopped a few hours later to check it again and the level was halfway down on the bottle....uh oh. filled it back up and havent drove it since(three days ago). No smoke,no funny smell,no egr codes,hasnt puked anymore since the one time but the cap has been tight since that day. What do you guys think is going on? Is he having head gasket problems? I have an egr delete kit in my garage could his egr be causing this?.. Maybe it just lost more coolant than we thought and its just taking a lot to get it back up to the level? Any help is greatly appreciated just trying to see which route to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 06:04 AM

Well until you get it pressure tested there really is no way to know. Maybe he was driving with a loose cap for awhile and more coolant leaked than you suspected and its just working the air out of the system. The only way to know if you have a HG issue is to get the engine pressure tested to see if there is a HG failure.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:56 AM

Check the oil for water. Cavitation behind the water pump can eat a hole through the cover into the crankcase. It's worse on the trucks with lower gears and more highway miles since they turn more revs.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:36 AM

I checked the oil for water but the oil level was exactly the same and didnt look to have any water in the oil. think he has 3.73s.

That could be very true I have no idea how long he was running around with the cap loose. Like it was wobbling around about to fall off but it was DEFINITELY way loose like it only took a couple of turns to take it off. Thinking just gonna keep adding some for a few more trips and see if it stops,maybe it could be air in the system? Youd think there would be some puking or some sort of sign that it is the HG..

Think I'm gonna try to rent that pressure tester from Bill and make sure...
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 AM

Front cover cavation, oil cooler rupture, cracked egr cooler, head gasket. It could be a lot of things, I'd get it checked out though.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:04 PM

We're hoping its just air in the cooling system..
Old 03-28-2013, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

my radiator leaked in mine.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:35 PM

Yeah we've looked for obvious leaks but don't seem to see any at this time...
Old 03-29-2013, 01:15 AM

If he has a blown HG would it not be pushing coolant out the degas bottle and puking rather than just going through some coolant? Also is there a pretty good way to make a pressure tester instead of renting one?
Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 PM

Also could the radi hoses be causing any of this? I've heard the older style hoses have o ring issues or something? We're gonna find a hill and get in its a$$ and see if we can make her puke that's one way to test them. Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.