6.4 smoking update Possible solution - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4 smoking update Possible solution

I purchased a 2009 Ford F250 4x4 diesel approximately 14 months ago. It had 49,000+ miles on it and would be used to tow our 37 foot 5th wheel camper. We were pleased with the truck but disappointed in the fuel mileage when we towed. All went well unit August 2012 when the truck started to go into a regen quite frequently and then it would start bowing blue/grey smoke.
I took it to dealer and they did some work on the truck and blamed it on the fact that I did not use a dealer to change oil the last time I had the oil changed and it was a quart over full.
It still blew blue/gray smoke so I took it back. Low and behold it was a quart over again in about a 1000 miles. This time they took a longer look. More changes with sensors and filters.
Took it on the road still the same. Back to the dealer. They tore the engine down and rerung cylinders 2 and 8 because the rings were stuck. These are the 2 cylinder used in the regen process. Back out on the road, still the same.
I contacted Ford customer service and opened an incident ticket with them. Customer service said they would be in contact with the dealer.
I wrote down every time it started to blow smoke, mileage, speed etc. Took it back to the dealer. Explained what was going on. They tried to tell us we were not driving the truck right. We should not be driving it around town; driving 26 miles one way to work on the freeway did not get the truck working right. You get the picture. They told me they would try again but basically it would be something we would have to live with. I just told them do your best. They checked the oil level and in 1400 miles the oil went up a quart.
I get a call to come get the truck two days later and was told we had to speak with the service manager before we could get the truck. I was primed for this conversation.
When we bought the truck I noticed the compass in the mirror would be recalibrating way too much. There was a TSB out for it but at customer expense, $1200 for the mirror alone. Easier to ignore the message.
The service manager explained to us Ford is now admitting there is a problem with the 6.4 engine smoking. He was working with a top gun tech at Ford on this problem. First they replaced the mirror at no charge. Not sure if it is tied into the problem but thanks for doing that. Next they found an altitude sensor was reporting the wrong altitude for our area. So that was replaced. What else they did, I am not sure, I am waiting on my copy of the work order to be mailed to me.
Leaving the dealer, I filled up the truck and reset mileage and MPG meter. Over a 10 mile stretch of open road, the DIC got up to 19.2 mpg at 65 miles and hour flat road. This truck never came close to that before. It was a 30 mile trip home, up and down hills, typical 2 lane country road. When I got home it had settled in at 18.2. I was amazed to say the least.
I am not saying the problem is solved just yet but I think it is a lot better start than before. I am to report back to the dealer from time to time on the progress.
I was lead to believe I was the only one having this problem from the dealer. The Manager of all services for the dealer let the cat put of the bag when he said he thinks they now can solve over 6 other trucks with this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 06:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

they probably just reflashed the truck

it wouldn't surprise me if they just fed you a line seeing as they fed you one about cylinders 2 and 8 being the ones used during regen
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 AM

and your oil being over a quart full is because of excessive regen putting diesel in the crank case
Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes sir. That is what they told me.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm having the same problem with my 2010 F250. It appear to occur when I make a sharp turn and accellerate, typically a left turn, say pulling away from a traffic light.

The crankcase being over filled would seem to make sense. It is a blue/gray smoke. How much fuel is used in the regen process?

I will echo the fuel mileage. When I'm on the highway and I reset the mpg indicator, the truck will get 19+mpg driving 65-70 mph. Around town driving kills the MPG.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There are times when I used 3-4 gallons during a regen other times seems normal.
I filled the truck up at one stop, as soon as I hit the highway there regen started, I drove 42 miles when the regen stopped. Filled it at a service station, it took 3.78 gallons

Don't let the dealer tell you it is normal.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:26 PM

Let me give you both good, simple, and proven advice. If you want the engine to last, oil change levels to be normal, dramatically decreased fuel consumption, no more smoke during regen, then you need to look into a DPF (diesel particulate filter) delete pipe, and a DPF-R Module, or DPF delete friendly programmer of your choice. Getting rid of the particulate filter on this 6.4 really turns it into a dependable power plant, its the regeneration process that kills these engines.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

cant go wrong with doing a dpf delete ^ you will have absolutely no regrets
Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The DPF might possibly need replacing or cleaning.

See, there comes a point where a vicious cycle can start. Excessive regens can put a lot of fuel in the oil and dilute and overfill the oil. When the oil gets severely overfilled, the truck can burn oil, thus the smoke. Burning oil is HORRIBLE for the DPF, since it ashes up and fills the DPF. Ash, unlike the soot, CANNOT be burned out of the filter through a regen, no matter how hard the truck tries. The truck doesn't know this, though, and all it senses is a clogged DPF that is filled with soot which it assumes it can regen out. So, it continues to regen and regen and regen but is getting nowhere in terms of reducing ash. During all of this, the oil continues to be overfilled, further worsening the ashing problem, and the motor is burning tons of fuel and is basically cooking itself until something fails, typically either the turbo oil seals and then the turbo, or possibly even the pistons or valves in cylinders 7&8 which are used for the post-injections in regens.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

You may get better results if you can post video or audio of your issue - also, just start a new topic for your concern, it will get more attention that way.

Welcome to the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.