Another White Smoke Thread - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another White Smoke Thread

First off, I want to apologize for another white smoke thread... I can tell through my research that white smoke has been a hot topic.

I bought my first diesel a few weeks ago (details in signature) with 180k on it. I've put around 1000 (unloaded) miles on it and it runs like a champ. Thursday morning I went and had the oil changed, fluids checked, etc. Took it home and installed my new Spartan tuner & Flo-Pro CAT/DPF delete.

Now after the truck warms up, it pours white smoke out of the exhaust when idling and just as I'm taking off from a stop. I used the tuner to monitor the EGR valve, and it seems to be opening and closing properly.

I've checked my fluids and they all look good and are at the right levels. I'm in the middle of a bad cold and can't smell anything, but my brother said it smells like normal diesel exhaust, "or possibly oil." I'm in Texas and the high temps are reaching the mid 80s, and there isn't too much humidity.

The truck still runs strong and I haven't been able to find any other symptoms. I think the tuner & dpf delete were just a coincidence, but I wanted to include as many details as possible. As this is my first diesel, I don't know much at all about them, so any ideas/tips/tricks/or troubleshooting steps would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 10:26 AM

And if you run without the spartan software ??
It smoke the same way
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I haven't tried that one. Is it safe to run it without the tune since I've removed the dpf?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 AM

Oh yes it is delete
No if you run without spartan i think the truck don't run the cel lamps go on

I'm a new owner for Powerstroke engines
try the search a little bit here

Your collant level is really ok

Last edited by Mikers; 03-18-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM

I think i may be having a similar issue. MY 6.4 seems to run great. When I bought it I had a t-stat that was stuck open so it never heated up and 2 glow plugs out. Had that fixed and Ive noticed a bit of white smoke, not think just light and a diesel smell only at idle. IDK??

Im also not sure any of these shadetree mechanics know what causes this. I read everything from a blown motor, bad injector to just normal exhaust.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've read the same with mine, but I'm thinking now that it may be the turbo. I took it for a warm up ride today to get some video of the smoke, and noticed soon after that I have oil or diesel splatter on the rear-end/shock/exhaust/etc.. When I crawled up under there I found that it was seeping out of the exhaust clamps. It looks like oil, but it's pretty thin... so I'm thinking it may be fuel. I was told that a leaky turbo could let either of them into the exhaust... so that's what I'm thinking now.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwood19 View Post
I've read the same with mine, but I'm thinking now that it may be the turbo. I took it for a warm up ride today to get some video of the smoke, and noticed soon after that I have oil or diesel splatter on the rear-end/shock/exhaust/etc.. When I crawled up under there I found that it was seeping out of the exhaust clamps. It looks like oil, but it's pretty thin... so I'm thinking it may be fuel. I was told that a leaky turbo could let either of them into the exhaust... so that's what I'm thinking now.
I bet its the turbo seal, seem to read quite a few guys who have that, oil leaks down into the exhaust and blows white smoke. Ive heard people say that you can pull the turbos with the cab on so hopefully thats the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.