Intermittent No Power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent No Power

Ive got an 09 6.4 with some major issue(s) that the dealer cant seem to figure out so hopefully someone else has had this problem and can point me in the right direction.

So roughly 6 weeks ago after about 20 minutes of driving my truck just lost power. Wouldn't do over 60 mph and wouldn't make more than 10 psi of boost. I eventually got to work and on my way home after the truck sat for about 10 hours all was well. However just to be safe I changed my fuel filters. For the next week and half (about 1200 miles) no issues until one morning the truck loses power again and just like the first time, cant do over 60 mph and cant make more than 10 psi of boost. Then that afternoon after it sat, all was well again.

Next day I took it to the dealer to have it checked out and to have some oil and coolant leaks taken care of since its still under warranty. They cant find anything wrong with it, updated the computer, and gave it back to me. However they didn't fix my oil and coolant leaks. So fast forward to this last weekend...

After they had the truck for 2 and a half weeks to fix my leaks I get it back. My GF picked it up for me and go figure, after 20 minutes she calls me saying it lost power... We get it home and let it sit and once again all is fine until we took the truck to go drop a trailer off at my uncle's, who is about 50 miles from my place. On the way back home, after about 15 minutes the truck loses power but this time it's worse... The engine has a very noticeable miss to it and starts bucking and smoking white... Get off to the side of the road and it sounds like its about to die from no fuel. By this point its about midnight so our only option is pretty much just limp it home. The whole way home the truck wouldn't do over 60 and had no boost. So we just cruised along at 55 mph but every so often it would just die, drop down to 30mph and buck and surge until you gave it some gas. After that it would cruise at 55 for a few minutes then act up on me.

Finally we got back to town and had to stop for gas since in 40 miles it went through a quarter of a tank. So I fugure at this point Ill turn it off since if it doesn't start up again I have options since Im close enough for a friend to help out. Well it started but still sounded like it was missing, but go figure, its back to full power... Next day I started it and it sounded and drove normal... But still, to be cautious I took it to the dealer this morning and by 2 pm they called me saying they cant figure it out...

I dont even know what to do now especially since starting next week I'm going to be making some long hauls for a couple rodeos and I cant afford for this truck to leave me stranded on the side of a 2 lane highway where I dont have cell service. Sorry its so long winded... So anyone got any ideas? And FWIW the truck is 100% bone stock since it has the extended warranty. .

Last edited by rkadc; 02-11-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

The is gonna have to drive it and scan for trouble codes as soon as it acts up. This is crazy, it ahs to be a bad sensor or possibly a bad computer module. SOunds like the regen process is throwing into limp mode.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Sometimes these trucks go into limp mode when the torque converter or tranny acts up as well. Hmmm, very interesting
Old 02-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im thinking its a bad sensor as well... I'm going to pick it back up tomorrow afternoon then I'm just going to drive the hell out of it and once it does it again, limp it to the dealer.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im kinda having the same issue's, did you find out what was wrong?
Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller79 View Post
Im kinda having the same issue's, did you find out what was wrong?
I haven't. But Im thinking it has something to do with the regen process. Every time this would happen, is about the same time the truck should of gone into regen. Also after the last time I got the truck back from the dealer after it was missing, the cab shaking, and smoking white, I've driven about 2500 miles hauling a 24k lb living quarters horse trailer and not once did I ever get the "cleaning exhaust filter" message on my dash. Normally when I pull that living quarters I see that message 2 or 3 times every 500-600 miles. However last week when I got back home, I took the truck to work on Friday so after work I could go to me and my buddies "shop night" and change my oil; and during that trip to work where it would normally shut down on me, for the first time in about 2500 miles I finally got the "cleaning exhaust filter" message. But its ran just fine since the dealer had it last. So IDK....

I really want to drive it to work everyday to see if it'll shut down on me again or do something but at the same time, Ive only got 10k miles left on this extended warranty so Id rather save it for when I'm on the road this summer rodoeing. And because of this I'm really on the fence about getting another extended warranty or going through with my plans on deleting it when I hit a 100k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.