08 PITA F450 Hesitation and Hard starting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 PITA F450 Hesitation and Hard starting

Ok we have a pain in the *** 08 F450. I say pain in the *** as we generally run Cummins and this truck has been a pain since day 1. We made the mistake of running an Industrial Injection Dragonfire and took out the entire injection system after only 300 miles. So then we decided to go with a Elite Diesel dual K16 setup (which took 4 months to get here btw). So now the truck has 8 new injectors with 120hp tips, 2 new... not reman pumps, new filters and all the rest of the fun stuff that goes along with it. Ported fuel rails, and everything else "elite" told us to run. We are running a Mini-Maxx tuner, have the 6.0 manifolds and up pipes, Tow power turbos, head studs, Air-Dog 165, EGR and DPF are gone, downpipe back exhaust, Sparco intercooler, Banks torque converter and billet flexplate. K so now that you know what is all on the truck, it has a big hesitation right off the line, and is taking almost 30 seconds to get started. It idles fine but when you get going it is like the fuel isn't there. Is the Air dog too small? I wouldn't think it was but with 2 hungry HP pumps I am not sure. Also what would cause the hard start...I know I've had a couple tractors that were like that and the fuel drained back but wouldn't think that a new truck would do that. Both the guy at the dealership and I are stuck so any help would be great thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 06:27 AM
Premium Member

how's all of the wiring especially to the air dog's? check the voltage. also, what tuner are you running. maybe your tunes need to compensate for the fuel delivery.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We are running an H&S Mini Maxx tuner. I think that we have found the problem, just waiting to hear back from the mechanic again. The brand new primary high pressure pump was not working, didn't know if it was the wiring or the pump itself. As it would run off of the 2nd pump, just had the issues I listed. Seems kind of wierd to me that it wouldnt just run off the 2nd pump alone, but I'm not sure how the fuel is routed through the 2 pumps. Will hopefully know in the next couple days whats going on.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good news is that we got the motor to run good. Finally dealt with Tad at Elite to get things sorted out...was more helpful than the rest. Turns out part of the wiring harness for the dual pumps was goofed up. He sent a new harness, fired up right away and runs great. So now that the motor does run good, and is making good power although we didn't run it to the max as we wanted to take it easy on the new motor and injection system. Then just 5 hours of easy driving after it got back on the road, the pile of **** ATS torque converter decided that it needed to implode and take out the trans. This is the 2nd time we have went with ATS (had a hopped up 05 dodge with their "stage 6" trans) and that trans SNAPPED 2 billet input shafts and they wouldn't stand behind it. They said that "Those transmissions stand up to our pulling trucks making 2000 hp" There is no reason they should break like that. Thing is though is that street and sled pulling are 2 very different animals so yeah. Beware of ATS transmissions and converters. I'll make a new thread and let people know what we think of the SunCoast that is on its way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.