Thinking of 09...inspection was fine until...!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of 09...inspection was fine until...!!

Newbie here. Been looking at 09 6.4's. Done a ton of research. So I find a really nice truck, but it has 189000km (117000miles). Many guys around here say the truck is just getting broken in, not to worry too much about the mileage. So I think OK, let's check it out.

Everything looks good. Guys seems like a straight shooter and says he has never had an issue with the truck. DPF is deleted, SCT livewire tuner and he runs the fuel mileage tune. EGR is still all in place. -20C (-4F) and it started right up without being plugged in. So it's idling for a while as I look over the truck. No signs of white foam on the degas bottle. No sign of coolant leaks. No low coolant level and I am assured it does not drop, that he has never had to top it up. A bit of oil all over the crank case vent line add the oil addition bottle. Guys says it's from spilling. I forgot to do the blow by test.

So maybe 15 to 20 minutes go by as I am looking it over and the motor starts to make this clacking sound. Clack, clack, clack, clack she goes. Then I notice whitish smoke coming from the exhaust. It's not heavy/thick, but it's there. Seller says this only happened once before when the first cold snap hit here back in September. His performance shop told him to remove the program, and put it back to stock, then reload the SCT program. This fixed the issue until this past weekend. CEL light came on at the same time. You can turn the truck off, restart and it's fine......unless you let it idle for a while. If you drive away before the clacking there are no driveability issues.

He called his local dealer to find out what it could be and they were quick to say EGR valve or hyper extended thermostat. What I need to know from the experts here is if the dealer is correct, or could this be something worse? I like the truck but can't afford to buy it and start puting mega bucks into engine work.

I would do an EGR delete right away but there is no guarantee it's the fix. Unfortunately we did not check the codes suing the SCT.

What do you guys say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Here's what I say. Don't buy a messed up truck unless the price is low enough to fix whatever could POSSIBLY be wrong with it.

If the guy wants to sell the truck for market price, it needs to be a good running truck without issues IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.