Something doesnt seem right. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 09:01 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Something doesnt seem right.

First off I have An 08' F-250 6.4 A/T with 92K miles on it, completely stock. This has only happen maybe 3 times in the past 6 months so I'm not too worried about it but just want to make sure it's not going to turn into anything serious. Is whats happening is when I take off from a stop and just accelerate normal (shifting around 2k) and when I go to get on it a little more (like a car is coming up quick behind me) it starts to studder a little and lose some power. I look in the passenger side mirror and notice a little bit of blueish/whiteish colored smoke. If I let off the skinny pedal a little bit and get back in it, it doesnt do it anymore. I'm not throwing a CEL or anything of that sort. I keep a close eye on the coolant and it has used a little bit within the last 4 months (~3/4 quart). I dont know if my EGR cooler is leaking a little bit and causing it to do this or an injector is F'd up. I try to mimic the scenario and see if I can get it to do it again but I cant. Only does it when she feels like it. But like I said its only done it 3 times in the past 6 months.

What do you guys think it could be? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated guys!! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Condensation in the intercooler
Old 01-12-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
Condensation in the intercooler
Thanks for the help. So whats the protocol to fix that? New intercooler?
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM

There is a TSB and a revised intercooler design. I'd get it to the dealer ASAP and hopefully you're still under warranty and can get the revised design.

It's only happened to me twice. I have the revised design, but if I cruise around long enough under the right temperature/humidity conditions, it'll happen.

When I did thermostats, I drilled/tapped the bottom point of the cooler and was going to put a solenoid valve on it to be able to drain it on command, but it hasn't been an issue again. It happened to me during the summer in south east TX
Old 01-12-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on diesel View Post
There is a TSB and a revised intercooler design. I'd get it to the dealer ASAP and hopefully you're still under warranty and can get the revised design.

It's only happened to me twice. I have the revised design, but if I cruise around long enough under the right temperature/humidity conditions, it'll happen.

When I did thermostats, I drilled/tapped the bottom point of the cooler and was going to put a solenoid valve on it to be able to drain it on command, but it hasn't been an issue again. It happened to me during the summer in south east TX
Thanks for the info! Would it be any different if I were to put an aftermarket one on? Also I think my warranty is up because it's an early 08.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:10 PM

not sure there
Old 01-12-2013, 08:28 PM

Ok well thanks for the help and the input! Glad I'm not the only one. Thought I was going nuts. I'll look into the warranty and getting the revised version. If not I'll get an aftermarket one and update the plumbing. Thanks for your help drunk on diesel
Old 01-16-2013, 09:24 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
FW Spin, I actually just noticed this same issue this morning when driving mine. I was getting onto the free way and the truck was stutter stepping, and wouldn't pick up and go very easily and then I noticed in the rear view that I had a bunch of blueish/white smoke dumping out the back. And then I'd let off and it the smoke would go away but the hesitation in application of power seemed off.

Did you get a chance to try any fixes on this particular issue yet?

Thanks,

John
Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin@greenoil View Post
FW Spin, I actually just noticed this same issue this morning when driving mine. I was getting onto the free way and the truck was stutter stepping, and wouldn't pick up and go very easily and then I noticed in the rear view that I had a bunch of blueish/white smoke dumping out the back. And then I'd let off and it the smoke would go away but the hesitation in application of power seemed off.

Did you get a chance to try any fixes on this particular issue yet?

Thanks,

John
No I haven't has a chance yet with work and other BS. I was planning on doing it at tax return time since doesn't happen too often. But it sounds like your having the same issue as myself. If I get it done before you get a chance I'll let you know how it turns out or visa versa. Thanks man
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well fellas I have the same exact thing. Posted in a different thread this morning. The dealer had told me last week to try to figure out when it was doing it and there was a TSB that fixes the condensation issue but it needs to be over 40 deg and high humidity. Not the case here in Iowa this time of year. I figured out when she would do it, when it comes up to temp and would last 3 minutes or so. Just got off the phone with my guy at the dealership and it is in regin mode. Which sounds right but no dash indication. So for the last week it has been smoking at least once a day due to this, also has not finished the regin cycle. This may be due to the TSB 11b23(reflash) as it has been reported to disable the dash indicator. I am definetly leaning towards a delete after all my research today. The whole DPF deal scare the crap out of my down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.