Truck Stalled and Won't Start P0087 and P0232 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Stalled and Won't Start P0087 and P0232

The first issue, I was driving down the insterstate 30 miles from home, cruise set at 65mph and the truck just dies. I coasted to the end of the exit ramp. Tried to start it and it wouldn't even turn over. After about 20 min it turned over and on the next try it finally fired up. Drove for 3 days and it did fine. Second issue, driving to work, 3 miles from my house with the cruise set at 58mph and the truck just dies. Coasted into a parking lot and the truck would turn over but wouldn't fire. After about 10 minutes, it wouldn't even turn over anymore. Had it towed to a mechanic and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. Let it sit and idle, he drove it around with no issues. I brought it home and my mini maxx gave me 3 codes: P0578 Cruise Control Multi Function Input A Circuit Stuck, P0232 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High, P0284 Cylinder 8 Contribution/Balance. I called the mechanic back and he said his computer didn't register the P0284 Cylinder 8 Contribution/Balance code. He called back a few days later and said that if inject #8 was bad, it could be the cause of my problem. 2 weeks and $800 later, the #8 injector was replaced. I picked it up last night and it drove fine all the way home. Went out this morning and it started up just fine. I let it idle for 10 minutes or so. I drove 3 miles from my house witht the cruise set at 58mph and it just died again. It shuddered and then i pressed the gas and it acted like it was out of fuel. I coasted into a parking lot and it was still running. Pumped the gas again and it revved but again cutting out like it was running out of fuel. Then it died. Tried to start it and it wouldn't even turn over. Mini Maxx gave 2 codes: P0087 Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too Low and P0232 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High. I waited for 2 hours for a tow and it never would turn over during that time.

I have the Mini Maxx, CAI, 4" DP, 5" DPF delete exhause, 3" passenger side IC pipe, EGR deletes. I also have an anti-theft device (on the truck when I bought it). When you turn the key all the way forward (just short of turning it over), you have to press this little button to start the truck.

I had it towed to the dealer this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have been reading your threads. I have no idea what it could be but i hope they figure it out and get it fixed. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, so the dealer called and said it is the low pressure fuel pump, $720.

I hope this fixes my problem!!!!!

I really don't want to be stranded again!!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:59 AM

If its the low pressure fuel pump you might want to look into something like the airdog of fass. They are a little cheaper than that and you get better filtration/water seperation.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 AM

$720?? geesh!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

They are replacing it now. I have to have my truck and can't be without it a day longer.

That is something that I am definately looking into for future problems though.

Anyone know what would cause a low pressure fuel pump to go out???
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 PM
<b>Premium Member</b>

Do you change your fuel filters religiously? Seriously, I'm not saying every 5K, but no more than 15K.

Just saying that I had my LPFP replaced a 14 months ago, because of similar issues like you were having, just cruising along, all of a sudden you have no power, you push the pedal and nothing. Mine I shut it down waited 10-15mins and it fired up again, but threw the P0087 code. At that point it had been about 20K miles since I changed the filters, I just forgot about them.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have only had the truck 5000 miles so I don't know what the PO did. They will be changed every 10K miles for sure now though!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 AM

THe previous owner probably didnt change the filters. THe first thing i do when i get a used truck is change every fluid and filter possible that way i know they were done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.