08 6.4 with 118,000 blew up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 6.4 with 118,000 blew up

The egr failed on my 2008 F250 6.4 with 118,000 miles. It sucked in coolant into the cylinders. Number 8 cylinder bent a rod and the piston put a big scratch in the bore. It's shot. I'm looking at $10,0000.00 to put in a decent mileage junk yard motor. I'm just sick about this. I have put in 2 radiators, and had other coolant issues as well as electronic sensor failures that left me stranded more then once. I bleed ford blue and have purchased more then 10 New ford vehicles. I'm not sure how I feel about ford over this. My 6.0 diesel blew up but they covered that one under warranty. The only good diesel I had were the 7.3 engines. The only bad part on those trucks were the transmissions. Sorry for the rant. Ford should do the right thing and cover these junk motors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psm View Post
The egr failed on my 2008 F250 6.4 with 118,000 miles. It sucked in coolant into the cylinders. Number 8 cylinder bent a rod and the piston put a big scratch in the bore. It's shot. I'm looking at $10,0000.00 to put in a decent mileage junk yard motor. I'm just sick about this. I have put in 2 radiators, and had other coolant issues as well as electronic sensor failures that left me stranded more then once. I bleed ford blue and have purchased more then 10 New ford vehicles. I'm not sure how I feel about ford over this. My 6.0 diesel blew up but they covered that one under warranty. The only good diesel I had were the 7.3 engines. The only bad part on those trucks were the transmissions. Sorry for the rant. Ford should do the right thing and cover these junk motors.

just fyi, people on this site doesnt do well with new members with it being there first post to come on and bash a motor and say how big of junk it is when they are really not. the 6.0 and 6.4 are both great motors when maintained properly. coming on here whining about how terrible these motors are wont get you far with these guys, now coming on here asking for help and answers then you will be well on your way.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:50 AM

Sounds like you leave your trucks factory stock. In that case, yes, the 7.3 is the Ford for you.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroker007 View Post
just fyi, people on this site doesnt do well with new members with it being there first post to come on and bash a motor and say how big of junk it is when they are really not. the 6.0 and 6.4 are both great motors when maintained properly. coming on here whining about how terrible these motors are wont get you far with these guys, now coming on here asking for help and answers then you will be well on your way.
leave him be. hes just pissed off dropping $50,000 on a truck and needing to drop another $10,000 for a motor that are suppose to last a long time. im thinking the OP out of frustration decided to hit the 'net for anwsers.

to the OP: it sounds like ur rig is stock, one things for sure the 6.4 are stout motors once you delete the dpf and shut off the egr. sounds to me those emisions controls chooched ur engine. if u do decide to drop in another research these boards on how to make ur engine into a beast. good luck!

u can check out this guy on youtube that explains what happens to the 6.4, etc

oh and fyi
Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My intent wasn't to get everyone upset at me. I was researching these problems with the 6.4 online and found this site. I'm a Stone Mason and need my truck everyday. The truck was $52,000.00 and I still owe $14,000.00 on it. I'm just very frustrated. I love my truck and there is nothing out there I would rather have. The garage I took it to said these issues are popping up often and they work on these trucks regularly. My truck is stock. I thought if I left it alone it would run forever. Being an Avid Mustang Drag racer I know that the farther you get from stock the less reliable the vehicle is. Not in this case. I know now what do do with the new motor. Egr and Dlp delete. Any advice you all can give me will be very appreciated.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

F350powerstroke, Thanks for the video.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
EGR cooler failures are usually caused by another coolant leak either leaving the cooling system empty or allowing air to be sucked in and circulated. The air in the system is what allows the cooler to overheat (because it can't cool on just air alone) and rupture.

Make sure you look strongly for another coolant leak as being the root cause. I hate to say it but if you guys would just check your coolant level every once in a while you'd quickly know if there was a concern. Same goes for checking your oil level. If your oil was becoming dilluted with fuel and was on the rise would you ever know it until it was too late?
Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have 157000 miles on mine and it is stock. I check and mark my coolant tank with a marker every fill up, then wipe it clean and start over at the first of each month. 1 radiator and one exhaust rocker has been about it. I also get under the truck every month to look for seeping problems. It is worth every minuit of my time to do this
Old 01-09-2013, 05:59 PM

After watching that video it seems to me that my front cover would be cavitated since I haven't done a great job flushing the coolant and still have the egr coolers. Has anybody replaced this front cover or is it something that gets done at a shop rather than my garage?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psm View Post
The only good diesel I had were the 7.3 engines.
I certainly can't argue with that. I've spent more on repairs in 15k miles on my 6.4 than my parents did in 270k on their 7.3. Plus, maintenance is more expensive and it gets worse mileage. Not sure I could go back, though. I like the way this thing tows too much, and the extra creature comforts are nice when you're doing 1200 mile days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.