F550 In Distress. Advice Please-- - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F550 In Distress. Advice Please--

Got a call today from one of the branches of the company I work for and they sent one of our trucks from their location to ours because they 'blewed up the motor'. It's a 2008 F550 regular cab 2x4 with a 9' flatbed. Delivery truck used to pull a tandem dual gooseneck most of the time. It showed up around 5 o'clock this evening at our location on the trailer it normally pulled being towed by a Chevrolet dually gasser...

Anyways, I found out about the situation and confronted our fleet manager about it. He shrugged it off and said, "Already ordered a replacement. Gonna give it up at the dealer for $5k I guess."

I asked to take over this truck as my personal project. He's a Chevy guy, all our new ones are Chevs. My company truck is a Chev. But I'm not giving up on this old abused Ford.

I don't know hardly anything about 6.4's like I do about 6.0's, so this is where I'm asking for help. I'm assuming they are similar in the fact that any minute thing could make one not run. The 'blowed up' description given by the delivery driver is a little far from true.

Truck arrived right at dark and I had a short time to inspect it, but haven't driven it or even looked under the hood. Driver says its got around 200k miles. It's been deleted at some point, and I don't know how. There's no programmer, and I don't know how the DPF system is deactivated. It's got a delete pipe though and no pod on the dash. I have no idea who did this or when, but the DPF is not present.

Here's the baffling part. The exterior of the truck is covered in oil. Fenders, doors, tires, bed. All but the top of the hood. BUT IT RUNS.

I figured we were gonna have to push it off the trailer, being 'blowed up' and all. But the driver jumped in it, and it fired right off. No hesitation, no long crank, no rolling start. Busted off like every other 6.4 I've been around. Sounded completely normal. No fluids leaking. Grayish/white smoke coming from the exhaust. Not heavily, but puffing out at idle. No knocking, ticking, popping, etc. when he put it in reverse to back it off, then it developed a miss like a bad injector. It loped until he parked it and put it back in park, then it sounded normal again besides the smoke.

By this time, it was dark, and I didn't want to look it over or pull the dipstick without being able to see what I'm looking at. The truck traveled on the trailer for about an hour and a half, and there was no oil residue on the wood floor. I'm stumped to find out where all the oil came from on the sides. Obviously there was a catastrophic leak recently, that may or may not have been repaired. Not sure on that yet. So there's question 1:

What could leak on the top side of a 6.4 to blow oil out of the fenders in such a way? More or less, has anyone else had a similar leak or is there a weak point that may have caused that?

Question 2:

What's the next best thing to check? I didn't see if there was a CEL on. I'm sure there is. Pull codes and see from there? I hate to think that the engine is completely pooched just from hearing it start and run for that short time. It's the general feeling that the branch that had it just wanted a new truck so they've come up with this nonsense story about needing a $15,000 repair to get it back on the road. And I'm not one to let our company take it in the shorts by sending this truck to salvage for $5,000. It's still in decent enough shape to keep around, and it's a heavy hauler.

I'm hoping perhaps our location just picked up an easy fix and we can add another truck to our fleet (even though we don't really need it). Their loss in my opinion, they're replacing it with another Chevy gasser.

Like I said, I'm not versed on the 6.4's, and I'm asking for opinions on what to check for to see if in fact we've got a catastrophic failure or an oil leak and a bad injector or two. Thanks for reading--

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 05:27 AM

Bump. Any thoughts?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 PM

What does it sound like when its running? With it being covered in oil i would guess a cracked piston.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:13 PM

Also does it produce boost? Is there oil in the downpipe? It could also be an oil seal in the turbo...
Old 11-30-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
What does it sound like when its running? With it being covered in oil i would guess a cracked piston.
It just sounds like its got a bad injector. Almost like a 6.0 with a cold start stiction issue.

I pulled codes today and came up with this:

P0637- cyl 3 glow plug circuit open

P0269- cyl 3 contribution balance

P0303- cyl 3 misfire detected

P0128- coolant thermostat, coolant below thermostat regulating temp

P0275- cyl 5 contribution balance

P0297- vehicle over speed condition

P0672- cyl 2 glow plug circuit open

P0101- mass or volume air flow A circuit range/performance

Sounding like #3 isn't very happy.

I don't know if it's making any boost, I haven't driven it or moved it really. I don't want to move it very far. Coolant is clear though and looks good. I'm wondering if the glow plug harness isn't blown out causing the oil leak.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you've got an oil leak you may have had an overfilled crankcase at one point causing the engine to ingest some of it's lube oil (thru the crankcase vent). if it filled up enough of the intercooler it could come out there or one of the cac tubes. This wreaks havoc on the base engine, melted pistons can result.

I would start with a manual compression test and go from there. If you end up low on a couple holes you'll know what you're in for
Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 PM

One big city 'Commercial Ford Truck' center supposedly ran a compression test on it and it failed. What type of test? I don't know. I'm piecing together information second hand. It was then driven, leaking oil from wherever and missing, about 100 miles back to the location from the Ford shop. I'm assuming we've got a bad piston on our hands, just a matter of what all that goes with it, and how much we want to funnel into this truck that's only worth $8-10k.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
don't just throw a piston in it without checking the cylinder wall condition/diameter. The diameter spec is only .002" range

In my opinion 6.4s aren't worth piecing back together. with such a catastropic failure do it all at once or don't do anything
Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 PM

Well for $10k, we'd be doing more than just throwing a piston in it. Complete short block at minimum.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 AM

Good luck kthed. Please keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.