Keeps going into regen - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Keeps going into regen

Truck is an 08 Job 1 F350 with 75k, just curious how long they are supposed to be in regen for, Are they supposed to tell you when they are done? because mine never seems to or i just miss it.

The reason i ask is because it flashed that it was cleaning the filter (naturally as i was almost home) so i just kept driving for another 15 minutes or so figuring that would be plenty then i parked it for the night. Well today i got up and it started into regen again as i drove to town which is about ten miles. Parked and had dinner and when i got back in it started cleaning again.

Had it for a year and have never had this problem, do i need a new dpf? Mine seems to pour a good deal of black smoke out, and according to the searches i did on this site the dpf could be cracked.

Any comments or advice would be nice, i do not have a programmer or scanner and the truck is all stock. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 06:04 PM

do yourself a favor and delete the dpf
Old 11-06-2012, 09:41 PM

The truck doesn't tell you when a regen is complete automatically. You can do a system check which will scroll through and tell you whether or not it's cleaning exhaust filter. Some regents will last longer than others. I've had some that last for close to an hour if not longer. If you're blowing some black smoke, you're DPF is probably toast. Mine was cracked with less than half the amount of miles you have and I've read of some going even sooner than mine did. The engine/powertrain warranty took care of mine and it should take care of yours too.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:48 AM

Alright, i called the dealer and they pretty much told me the same thing. A delete is in the future, but not until the truck is paid for, so if i can get the dealer to fix something under the warranty i'm going to.

I have a good length trip this weekend so that should give me a pretty good idea of whats going on.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:07 AM

the biggest killer of your truck is the regen process...

If a doctor told you "Hey, I'll give you free medical care/treatment for the next three years, but ONLY if you eat a teaspoon of rat poison every morning with breakfast", would you take him up on it?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:01 AM

Drunk on diesel has a good point. Dont wait to delete, do it now, especially with the epa trying to throw their weight around lately.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-08-2012, 01:48 PM

Our 08 1 ton at work will say its cleaning filter for a good 30 miles used to do it real quick then about 75000 it started taking its time now with a little over 80000 its in the shop with a broken rocker arm which they are telling me the rocker arms just break on these motors which I have a hard time believing however that truck doesn't smoke at all now my wifes 08 f250 the Regen hardly ever comes on in it has over 100000 but it is smoking real bad a grayish white smoke and I posted on here about it and was told to delete so that will be the next step for it

Sent from my Milestone PLUS using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.