Oil or Soot Leak at Front of Engine - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 06:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil or Soot Leak at Front of Engine

I tried a search, and couldn't find anything like this. I have an '08 Jo 1, and last night, I thought I heard it making a faint clunking noise when I got off the freeway. When I started it this morning, it made a weird noise like it was missing, so I revved it once, and it went away. When I got home I noticed this in my driveway:

The patterns look more like coolant and soot than oil? I looked up underneath, and the fan coated the whole front of the engine in the stuff. All of the intake boots are dry. I've been throwing a code for thermostat performance for the past week because it's been running way cold. I figured one of the tstats was hung open. Now, I just got a glow plug code which is probably the cause of the miss on startup. It seems like it just blew this crap all over my driveway on startup, and got less severe when I drove off. Seems to run fine otherwise.

I'm going to pressure wash it next weekend to try and find the cause, but does anyone have an idea as to what this is? I feel like it may be something with the EGR. Hope it's not a front main seal or worse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 06:27 AM

Pressure washed it down last night and pulled it into the garage. I crawled under it, and looked around for a few minutes. Behind the crank pulley was dry, so I don't think it's the front main. I was about to give up for the night when a trickle of blackish water started running down the crank pulley on the belt. It came from above the pulley where I couldn't see. I'm going to check the oil tonight, but I'm afraid I'm going to see water in it since I noticed the degas bottle is black. Anyone have an idea what this might be? Doesn't seem like the right area for a head gasket. Oil cooler maybe?
Old 11-09-2012, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

So you are getting oil in your degas bottle?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:53 AM

Looks like it. I just noticed it leaving for work this morning. Looked pretty black.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 AM

You probably have a bad oil cooler. Usually if it goes bad you will get oil in the coolant because the oil pressure is higher.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:15 AM

Yep! Radiator was about half full of oil, and the oil was almost gone. I thought it was soot because the fluid was floating the oil around so it didn't look like regular oil stains. Once I replace the thing, will flushing the system with Simple Green get everything cleaned out pretty well?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 AM

It should. I would flush with simple green, restore and restore plus. Then add a quality cat elc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.