WTF... Coolant all over the reservoir and the inner fender-well - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
WTF... Coolant all over the reservoir and the inner fender-well

Ok, so I just purchased a 2008 Ford F250 Superduty SB CC 4x4 with 70,000 miles on it. I bought it from a dealer that took it in on trade. Well I drove truck to my work right when I picked it up and when I parked it I noticed coolant ALL over the reservoir in the engine compartment, all over the bottom side of the hood, and all over the driver side inner fender well. What the heck is the problem with this thing?!?!?! Im pretty bummed at this point. The truck still has tremendous power and did not heat up on me at all nor do I smell any coolant through the exhaust! I am new to the board and just want to get some feedback..... hope it isn't a big issue lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 PM

I cant say Ive had this problem, but being a diesel tech (big rigs) the first thing I normally check on a truck with this sort of issue is the reservoir cap, see if it has any cracks or it just wasnt tight enough on there, the other things I check is the hoses that come out of the reservoir (including overflow tube) if the over flow is clogged up for some reason it can build to much pressure and ruin the cap, while checking the hoses be sure that all hose clamps are tight enough to hold it on and not make it leak out but not to tight where it will rip the hose and cause it to leak.

Did the dealer give any kind of warrenty, when I bought mine used it came with a 5 day warrenty. If its still within the warrenty time the dealer gave you I would recommend taking it to them to have them pay for the fix instead of you. You just put enough money towards your new truck to have it do this. Hope this helps you out in what to do next.

By the way welcome to the org.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

cledus91-i am your neighbor in Santa Fe
Old 10-26-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
cledus91-i am your neighbor in Santa Fe
My whole family comes from Santa Fe (wester's). Grand Pa owned the bus depot back in the early 70's and had a small trucking company/shop their back in the day.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:02 AM

You can check the coolant cap or egr coolers but I am 99.9% sure the HG are blown. I've had this problem myself and read of about 20 others and everyone says check the cap check the coolers. With the exception of p8ntballin (member) its never the cap your hg are gone and no I'm not jumping the gun on this assumption
Old 10-26-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
My whole family comes from Santa Fe (wester's). Grand Pa owned the bus depot back in the early 70's and had a small trucking company/shop their back in the day.
Cool deal. I am also born and raised in Santa Fe
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
You can check the coolant cap or egr coolers but I am 99.9% sure the HG are blown. I've had this problem myself and read of about 20 others and everyone says check the cap check the coolers. With the exception of p8ntballin (member) its never the cap your hg are gone and no I'm not jumping the gun on this assumption
Sadly,he's probably right. But what the hell your gonna want to replace the cap any how and its like $12 bucks so....why not try the easy stuff first.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
truth.. my stant cap is still holding strong.. haven't had any issues since putting the new cap on. i've run the truck pretty hard a few times on the KEM 345.. no issues, knock on wood!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate it sooo much... I took it to the Ford dealership, they charged me $250 to check it out and said that it could be due to the egr maifold and that they need to pressure test it first ($1100) but not guarantee that's the problem. They said if its not that then its a head gasket......

I called the guy up (who I bought it from) and after a little bit of leverage, I took it back to him and got my money back! What a relief. Unfortunately, we'll never know what the actually issue was but I wasn't about to try and figure that one out on my dime...

NOWWWWW..... I still have an issue, I need a truck!!! LOL what do you guys recommend!??!?!? I want to know what year to look for, one with the least bugs, and one with good power! What do you guys recommend ranging from 2005-2010???? What are your thoughts? Opinions? Feed back? personal experiences? Anything would be helpful at this point!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:16 PM

Sadly this truck will make its way onto the market and some other unlucky soul will get it and have the feared "6.0 problem child" and the cycle will go on....and their value will fall a bit lower.
Curious what were they asking for the poor beast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.