911,,,, I think! Coolant issue after EGR delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
911,,,, I think! Coolant issue after EGR delete

Well looks like i may have bit off more then i could chew.
I wish someone here lived close to Clinton, mo that could help me out.

SO heres what i did. Installed the PTP egr delete. I noticed after start up the upper plug had a drip and couldnt get it to quit....also looked like possibly the bottome may have had a slight seep. How do you snug down a plug with one bolt on the side. i couldnt get them to push in hardly. Anyway so i put coolant in let it run for a bit and just had the one leak on the upper plug. so i took it for a spin to adjust my steering wheel and to get it warmed up all the way. Before i left i ran diognostics on my h&S and got po528 fan speed sensor circuit no signals and po480 fan1 control circuit.

Ok so get back to adjust steering after about two minutes of driving and now i have coolant dripped from what looks to be coming from the bottom side of the engine. hard to tell. i have a pic if i can get it uploaded. Im sick right now. I knew i should have left it alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

heres a pick of where the biggest majority is dripping off of. Its really hard to tell from up top if its coming from anywhere. all of it looked dry up top other then the heavier stream from that upper plug....
Old 10-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Oh and when tightening up the plastic radiator plug i didnt even feel it get tight then i twisted off the end where the allen wrench could go.....talk about a night. It was getting dark and i have to get up early to go to work so i quit for the night. is it possible that all the coolant that was running out of that upper plug was splashing off the fan and then wherever it sprayed collecting and dripping from this point. thats near the oil pan anyway....so i couldnt imagine coolant to leak from down there.

Im really telling myself because of the stream of coolant coming out of the upper plug that it ran down and back kind of like water can do on gutters or the eaves of a house and then drip off.

Last edited by Big_Smokey; 10-15-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't have any first hand knowledge of doing this because EGR system was deleted when the shop replace my HG and installs studs.

It almost sounds like you didn't get the EGR delete plug fully seated and it's dripping/leaking. Try hosing everything off and letting things dry. Then run the truck again and see it's leaking from the installed plug.

I know from doing gas injectors if the o-rings on the injectors won't seat right we coat them with a little oil to help them seat better. You might need to remove the plug and re-seat it and pray you didn't tear the o-ring on the plug.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 AM
Premium Member

Yah, thanks gerry I will try that. Sucky thing is i have to wait until i get off work, so i have to think about it all day! My uncle owns the shop nearby and if i needed im sure he has a new o-ring of the correct size. ive seen like 4 or 5 plastic bins he has for engine o-rings.
hopefully this is all that i did. I dont know why i didnt think about a little oil to help it slide in....Stupid i guess.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Yep GERRY you saved the day. I took the upper plug out where i thought it was gushing out of and as i fought to put the stupid thing in i tore the hole bottom o-ring. I seriously dont know why i did that...i know i was in a hurry. 99 cent o-ring with a little touch of oil around it and popped right it there. ran it for 5 minutes then drove easy up and down the road for about 5 minutes and no leaks. I think im good to go now!
I guess i got overly scared for nothing.....
Old 10-18-2012, 03:51 PM

No problem buddy. I'm glad I could help and it was a fast and cheap fix .

Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 AM

I think I did the same thing. I just did my egr delete and my upper plug Is leaking. Ill pull it out tomorrow and see if it's got a bad o ring. But I was wondering if you ever got those plugs to go in all the way, or if they'd just slightly go in
Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 AM

Mine went all the way in.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Premium Member

They go all the way in. Be careful not to rip the oring. Put a little lube on your finger and put it on the ring. Dont put it in at an angle. Flush it up and push. Sometimes they are pretty tight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.