Disappearing Coolant - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Disappearing Coolant

First off thanks for looking and hopefully for finding a solution to this problem. This is my first diesel truck and I will never buy a gas truck again. Have searched threads for this problem but all others have different symptoms then I have so I thought Id throw it out for consideration.

I have a 08 F250 with just over 103,000 miles on it that I have owned for the last two years. Truck had a little over 87,000 miles on it when I purchased and is mainly used to pull a 81/2 X 20 enclosed trailer with three quarter midgets and spare parts totaling roughly 5,000lbs. Neither previous owner or myself has put any mods on her. Only work I have had done, other than routine 5,000 mile oil changes and fuel filter changes, is replaced radiator and hoses (leaking at time of purchase) and flushed cooling system.

Problem is truck is using what I consider large amounts of coolant. Have been pulling trailer around 1,000 miles back and forth to races and use 2 to 2 gallons of coolant during each trip. Truck does not blow white smoke out the tail pipe at start up, while driving, or under high turbo boost when pulling up hill, and no puking coolant. Only noticeable symptom is small loss of power under heavy turbo boost while going thru WV Mountains.

Have taken the truck to two local Ford dealers who have pressure tested the cooling system and placed dye in coolant to detect leak and no visible leaks detected. And of course when they take it for a ten-mile test drive no visible coolant drop. Each dealer has had the truck for multiple days and visits for evaluation with no solution or suggestion other than keep an eye on it and bring it back if it happens again. Getting tired of traveling with four gallons of coolant (Ford Gold) in the bed so any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you seen any leaks lately?
Because if not, it has to be drinking it. Which can't be good.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Got back yesterday from last trip and had to add 2 gallons over 1,052 miles. Checked coolant level this morning down to about .5 to .75 inches from bottom of degas bottle. Way below min cool level. No leaks detected on drive way. Also checked oil level and got a normal reading so coolant doesnt seem to be getting in crank case. Drinking a lot but not sure where.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 PM

Welcome to the forum Rob!!

As said above, if you haven't seen any leaks it sounds like a HG issue.

Mine was doing the same thing with the exception that mine was puking coolant under load. After 3 trips to the dealership, a new radiator and upper and lower hoses I had a second dealership looked at the truck and they said it's a HG hands down. After it was torn down sure enough it was a blown HG on the #5 cyl. I hope yours isn't the same but it sure sounds like it.

If you want/need a good dealer to look at shoot me a PM and I'll send you the info. It's going to be a drive for you because it's just north of Atlanta but they do good work and they know their chit. If you're out of warranty I can send you the info for a shop around here that also knows their chit.

Gerry

Last edited by Gerry; 09-24-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:38 AM

If you cant figure out where the coolant is going you could also take it to rudy's diesel performance since you are in NC.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Still under ESP I purchased after replacing radiator. Maybe reason no dealer wants to diagnose HG problems as it should be covered, according to finance manager who sold plan. Hopefully he wasn't feeding me a line. Truck is back to dealer number one as of Monday. Service writer said they were going to pull front cover to check for cavitation?? No word as of yet.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the suggestion. if extended warrenty doesnt cover whatever the dealer finds will probably have them put it back together and take it to an independent shop as I wont be happy to have purchased a plan that supposedly covered everything in the motor.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dealer called yesterday saying EGR cooler is cracked. Replacing under warrenty. Hope this will fix problem.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 AM

At least you caught it early and before it did some major damage... Being covered by Ford is even better .
Old 09-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
EGR coolers can fail and leak only when hot. Some of them are tough but not totally impossible to find if you know what to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.