Head Gastket or EGR - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gastket or EGR

I know if I search long enough I will probably find the answer to my question but I don't have the time to search.

I have a 2008 F-350 running the hot damn 300 tune with cold air intake and 4" exhaust with all stock junk removed.

The problem I am having is if I hammer down the truck will puke coolant. I asked my dealer about it and he didn't have an answer. How can I tell if it is the head gasket blown or the EGR leaking. It only seems to do it if I hit higher boost pressures. I tried changing the cap on the degas bottle hoping it would be easy but no such luck. It first happened when I was racing my wife in her S6 (winning of course) and when I got home I realized it puked coolant. My temps never budged so it didn't get hot, it just leaked. Please tell me I can do a EGR delete and fix this problem.

All info will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 12:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It could possibly be EGR or HG's so if you delete your EGR and it still pukes its probably head gaskets.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its more than likely head gaskets but either way its a good idea to delete the egr. You could do that first and if it doesnt solve the problem then its the head gaskets.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
Its more than likely head gaskets but either way its a good idea to delete the egr. You could do that first and if it doesnt solve the problem then its the head gaskets.
I am thinking it is more than likely head gaskets as well. I read somewhere on here yesterday that if it is the EGR it would be blowing white smoke which it isn't doing. I hate to spend the money to do the EGR delete if it doesn't fix the problem. I also thought the head gaskets weren't an issue on the 6.4 liter PSD. I am very frustrated with this. How much does it cost to have the head gaskets replaced? And if I do the gaskets I should replace the studs as well right? I heard it was around 4 grand. That is ridiculous.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

Mine did this Saturday night. I did a 4x4 boosted launch, left at 10psi, got it up to about 80mph and backed off. I had never done one before and I wanted to try it. No temps were real high, not sure what the boost got up to, but when I stopped and cut it off there was smoke or steam coming from under the hood. I opened it and there was coolant on everything. Not trying to hijack the thread but mine did the same thing. Sure hope its not head gaskets. Everything is fine and normal, doesnt leak fluid, and drive perfectly normal.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keanan View Post
I am thinking it is more than likely head gaskets as well. I read somewhere on here yesterday that if it is the EGR it would be blowing white smoke which it isn't doing. I hate to spend the money to do the EGR delete if it doesn't fix the problem. I also thought the head gaskets weren't an issue on the 6.4 liter PSD. I am very frustrated with this. How much does it cost to have the head gaskets replaced? And if I do the gaskets I should replace the studs as well right? I heard it was around 4 grand. That is ridiculous.
Your probably looking at around $3500-$4000 to do gaskets and studs.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblg700 View Post
Mine did this Saturday night. I did a 4x4 boosted launch, left at 10psi, got it up to about 80mph and backed off. I had never done one before and I wanted to try it. No temps were real high, not sure what the boost got up to, but when I stopped and cut it off there was smoke or steam coming from under the hood. I opened it and there was coolant on everything. Not trying to hijack the thread but mine did the same thing. Sure hope its not head gaskets. Everything is fine and normal, doesnt leak fluid, and drive perfectly normal.
Could be either the HG or EGR cooler, try replacing the cap to see if thats the issue its 5 bucks at advanced, if it still pukes then its HG or Coolers , do an egr Delete, if it still pukes Its HG. Dealer here quotes are around 5k . These epa emissions crap is destroing these trucks, And Ford Could give two Shyts . I think we need to start a sticky for a class action, ALL YOU HEAR ABOUT FORD IS EGR AND HG its not normal and everyone is just dashing out their hard earned $$$ to fix something that ford messed up on, as far as i hear the class action suits against ford for the 6.0 have been winning
Old 10-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

PS . EGR delete quite very well make the HG issue worse since it wastegates in to the coolers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.