2008 Head Gasket Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Nally7.3Powerstroke
Exclamation 2008 Head Gasket Help

We have a truck a guy brought in. He jumped right to the conclusion that his head gaskets were blown without us even looking at the truck. I have seen EGR coolers go bad on these motors but very few head gasket concerns. Has anyone else seen many head gasket issues on these motors? and he wants to do studs when he gets it fixed, so should he go with aftermarket gaskets or stock ones?? He also installed an aftermarket coolant filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nally7.3Powerstroke View Post
We have a truck a guy brought in. He jumped right to the conclusion that his head gaskets were blown without us even looking at the truck. I have seen EGR coolers go bad on these motors but very few head gasket concerns. Has anyone else seen many head gasket issues on these motors? and he wants to do studs when he gets it fixed, so should he go with aftermarket gaskets or stock ones?? He also installed an aftermarket coolant filter.
Im not master mechanic by any means, but here is what I know from reading over many posts on this forum. Is this guy running a tuned truck and really beating on it hard? I have heard many guys on this forum say they have NOT had head gasket issues because of the somewhat gentile way they treat their truck. Hard pulls at each stoplight on a tuned vehicle will eventually wreak havoc on it, but I bet you already know that.

1)When doing studs, the vast majority of users buy brand new OEM head gaskets. I have read some posts about issues arising when the black onyx (i think thats the brand) gasket is used.

2)If it is coolant he smelled and saw under the hood, doesnt automatically mean it was a blown head gasket. Could be from a faulty EGR cooler or could have come from the degas coolant tank and be a bad coolant cap.

3)Nothing wrong with an aftermarket coolant filter. A lot of truck owners have this on their vehicle as added piece of mind. Just helps remove any contaminants that may clog up the oil cooler.

This is just my two pennies worth of what I have seen on this forum....Hope it helped
Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the input. I know the truck is tuned, as far as how he drives it im not positive. All we were told was that the coolant system has excessive pressure, wether he pre determined this on his own or another shop told him I donot know. I believe this guy is reading forums on 6.0's, because he tried to argue with us about people doing the head gaskets with the cab on and something about a TSB on it, so Im not sure where the guy is getting this false information from, unless he is reading about the wrong motor.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:40 AM

Anyone ever seen a clogged aftermarket coolant filter cause high pressure in the cooling system? or is it possible?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nally7.3Powerstroke View Post
Anyone ever seen a clogged aftermarket coolant filter cause high pressure in the cooling system? or is it possible?
I dont think so because its just a bypass filter. It shouldnt affect the cooling system pressure at all. If the filter is clogged it will just bypass the filter.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
I dont think so because its just a bypass filter. It shouldnt affect the cooling system pressure at all. If the filter is clogged it will just bypass the filter.
X2 to the above.....
Old 09-19-2012, 03:27 PM

Could be something as simple as a leaking EGR Cooler
Old 09-25-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshevilleEngine.com View Post
Could be something as simple as a leaking EGR Cooler
Yea we tried to tell him to replace both egr coolers while we had it apart for the head gaskets already since it would be no extra labor.

Last edited by Nally7.3Powerstroke; 10-02-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Premium Member

He's probably right about it being head gaskets. There are more than enough threads of guys blowing head gaskets on the 6.4.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 AM

my bet is it is the head gaskets. tell him to just delete the coolers since he is allready in there and stick with arp stucks and STOCK gaskets.....either way sounds like he wants studs and if you delete the coolers at the same time the problem will be fixed....coolanr filter wont cause to any problems even if its clogged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.