2nd motor ran away today - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2nd motor ran away today

At 115k the factory motor cracked #8. I replaced the engine with a new one last one left according to ford. Well this engine made 27k miles I was doing 40mph it sounded like a lifter started to tap and ran away had to shut it down and it still wanted to go for a few seconds until it died. I pulled the intake boot off and it was pumping oil out and when I was running smoking like a train and had a slight miss. Took it to the shop They thought it was bad seals in the turbos, I bought a new set of turbos and then the same thing. Well had them take the engine all the way down and found cyliners 4,5 and 7 rings were stuck. Replaced all wearable parts including injectors top to bottom. Total just in parts not including the turbos was 6800. Well Today it was ready took a ride with the mechanic it ran like a champ no problems smooth pleanty of power. Well I got in it to go home I made it to the next town and what sounded like a lifter tap again happened and it ran away got all the way up to 60mph on its own till I finally got it to shut down. I pulled the intake boot off and yet again it's pouring oil out of the intercooler just like it was when I took it into the shop. Anyone have any of this happen? By the way there is no check engine lights ot codes. I had it towed back to the shop just a few hours ago. So he will have a surprise in the morning cause I know they are tired of working on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well the mechanic shop called me and so far they think it's some kind of leak in the fuel system. Te crankcase was completely full of fuel/oil mix. I don't have a clue should have kept my 99 cummins, thats what pulled me to the shop with 391k miles on it and zero problems since 180k miles.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When you stated runaway My first thought was an overfull crank case

so How did this situation not come to light on the first runaway ?

or did it only runaway 1 time ??
Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm guessing the new engine didn't include all new fuel system?

re-using the same pump/injectors/lines/etc. that killed the first engine is going to keep killing every engine that fuel system is installed on
Old 09-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The only thing that was not replaced was the pump. They had the valve covers off today with it running and no leaks. Rail pressure was ran up to 19,000 psi and then there it was took a sudden drop determined the high pressure pump is leaking fuel somewhere. I knew I should have changed the dam# thing out. They had the cab off this afternoon when I went buy said should be ready by tomorrow afternoon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.4 run away blown engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.