Bad problems.....HELP!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad problems.....HELP!!!

Ok so I just bought the truck 3 weeks ago and it now has 81k on her. When I bought it, the day after it was leaking fuel pretty bad from the fuel/water separator/fuel filter housing. Took it back to the dealership I bought it at and it was a crack in the housing along with a little chunk missing too from the fuel/water separator. They fixed it and when I got it back it sounded totally different when it would start. Deff not like a 6.4 should sound. I dont know how this could be when they shouldnt have messed with the starter at all when its on the other side of the truck and never sounded like that when I dropped it off there. So I said screw it and kept driving it because I thought maybe its just the starter going bad. A few days later I checked the coolant and noticed it was low and added some to only find out it was leaking from the lower driver side of the radiator. In the process of this I noticed the valve cover gaskets are leaking too!! It leaves little spots of coolant every now and again but not all the time. As for the oil leak it doesnt leave any spots at all. So last night I go to leave the bar with a few friends and hop in the truck turn the key....nothing. At first it turned over hard and then got worse and wouldnt do anything. I waited and tried it again....nothing same thing. Waited some more and then nothing at all. It sounded like the batteries were dead and was turning over hard and slow but still had full brightness of the lights and everything else. It did this too me earlier in the day too, turned over hard but still started. I asked my other buddy to pull over next to me to jump it with his 6.7 because I thought the batteries where shot. That did nothing. Tried to start it again without the jumper cables and I smell something and got underneath to look at the starter and noticed the positive going to the starter and smoking so I said &*%$ this and left it there. So far I'm thinking the dealer broke it off in me and i got screwed. The truck is an 08 F-250 6.4l extended cab long bed super duty. What do you guys think it could be and what should I do. I'm gonna tow it to the local Ford dealership and have them look at it. Does anybody know if my truck still has a warranty on it? 81k miles and Im the third owner of it. Any help advice or anything would be greatly appreciated guys I'm going nuts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 04:01 PM

Well I got a call from my father today while I was at work. He said he stopped at the dealer to see what was up with my truck since I cant because I'm in Detroit for work. The dealer said my motor is toasted. I guess from what the mechanic said it was leaking coolant into the cylinders. So now I wait to see if Ford will warranty the engine or if I have to pay for it out of my pocket. I havent even made the first payment on the truck yet......
Old 09-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW SPIN View Post
Well I got a call from my father today while I was at work. He said he stopped at the dealer to see what was up with my truck since I cant because I'm in Detroit for work. The dealer said my motor is toasted. I guess from what the mechanic said it was leaking coolant into the cylinders. So now I wait to see if Ford will warranty the engine or if I have to pay for it out of my pocket. I havent even made the first payment on the truck yet......
That sucks but hopefully they work with you!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 PM

Well where to start...... the dealer told me the engine was toast, it isn't. Turns out they jumped to conclusions and said it was locked because they couldn't get it started, which I told them it wouldn't because the starter was bound up. They also jumped to that conclusion because they thought the EGR cooler was leaking when it was the thermostat. So I'm super stoked that it isn't the engine but pissed because it was under warranty and I could have got a new engine!! So now all I need is a new starter and a new thermostat which for parts and labor is 1600 bones. Ah well that's life I guess.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW SPIN View Post
Well where to start...... the dealer told me the engine was toast, it isn't. Turns out they jumped to conclusions and said it was locked because they couldn't get it started, which I told them it wouldn't because the starter was bound up. They also jumped to that conclusion because they thought the EGR cooler was leaking when it was the thermostat. So I'm super stoked that it isn't the engine but pissed because it was under warranty and I could have got a new engine!! So now all I need is a new starter and a new thermostat which for parts and labor is 1600 bones. Ah well that's life I guess.
You can save about 1000 doing it yourself. T-stats are a pain but not hard to change, stater takes some wrangling, but like anything else, just takes patience.
Old 09-11-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto2four View Post
You can save about 1000 doing it yourself. T-stats are a pain but not hard to change, stater takes some wrangling, but like anything else, just takes patience.
I would love to do it myself but I never have the time to work on any of my stuff anymore with always be on the road for work . I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and have them do it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.