Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wth is goin on?

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  04hdfatboy 
#1 ·
Coolant is dissappearing FAST!!! pulled fifth wheel a few weeks ago and hadnt checked anything bc temps have been fine. Got my mini maxx in last night ran dpf on hot tune for about 2 hours not really pushin it hard. Temps were around 190(coolant). Took truck today oil changed at dealership and they discovered i had low coolant. Drove about 30 miles home and back to low coolant after they topped it off. Mind you i took the mini maxx off last night and loaded stock tune back on truck. Appears to be leakin from around egr. How do i stop this?

#2 ·
Ca you post a pic of where it is coming from? Also, does it look like it is coming out the degas bottle?

#3 ·
its seems to be pretty common lately that the heads seem to lift just enough on 6.4 trucks pulling a heavy load and up semi steep to steep grades. it could be hgs but it could also be several small things. could be something as simple as a coolant leak that appears when the system is up to its max psi or a split hose or slight hole somewhere. have you looked for any coolant anywhere or for the leak? does it look as though there is leaked coolant from the coolant reservoir or around the cap. does it leak when the engine is off?

#4 ·
Residue all down front of engine on driver side doesnt appear to be comin out of degas bottle(no residue on top). Havent been able to tell if it leaks when its off. How do i post pics i cant find that thread. Takin it monday for a pressure test at dealer. If it is the egr is delete my best bet or let ford replace it.

#5 ·
If warranty or emissions inspection are of no concern I would just delete the EGR and coolers.

#6 ·
Not worried bout either really. GA doesnt do emissions testing and if it takes voidin the warrenty to make the truck more reliable so be it

#7 ·
Upon forth examination the degas bottle does seem to be the problem. Didnt notice it at first but there is residue around the cap where it had run out. Preciate the suggestions

#8 ·
So it looks like it came out the cap? Can you also see white residue on the hood about the cap?

#10 ·
Also if its on the drivers side it could be the upper radiator hose. WHere the upper hose connects to the thermostat housing is the end of the hose white or black?

#11 ·
Problem resolved and running good. 04hdfatboy it was the upper. The residue on the bottle was where they had spilt it when refilling

#13 ·
Good deal bud! :thumb:

#12 ·
Good to see you got everything fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.