Irregular Idle on 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Irregular Idle on 6.4

First post. I've searched high and low for symptoms exactly like mine with no luck. If there is a post you know if I'd love the link. Anyways, so I've got an '08 f250 that just recently developed a pretty odd idle. It happens only when idling in park or when my foot is on the brake while in drive or reverse. my truck typically idles in the range of 640-670 rpms but lately its been spiking up to around 800 rpms then down to less than 600 then back up again. I doesn't always do this but I can't seem to to find anyone who has this problem. Also, this problem only occurs when I'm at a stop light, idling backwards in reverse, or slowing to a stop. If I am driving at a normal speed with the RPM constant there is no stutter at all. I'm hoping i don't need injectors because I'd really rather not spend the money but any suggestions on a diagnosis would be great. I've got a mechanic that I trust here in Katy but he's expensive and I'd like to see what I may be able to do myself first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you changed your fuel filters recently?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hmmm

I will be honest with you I too have the same problem. Monitored Injector pressure on my Mini Maxx and everything seems good. TYhe truck just goes into a "High Idle" state, even though it isn't a real high idle. My idle goes up to the same as yours but doesn't go back down until much later.

I change my fuel filters at regular "Heavy duty" service intervals at Ford. They basically do all my servicing. The truck has been doing this way before upgrading to the mini maxx and does it so rarely I can never reproduce it.

My truck currently has 80 000km, F-350 2009 PSD straightpipe Airaid intake with mini maxx tuner set on Medium - Wild.

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
Old 09-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've changed the filters every 10k, and yes the fuel filters were replaced a couple weeks before symptoms.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i'll drain the fuel water seperator but I really don't think that's the problem. i too have had to high idle "surge" but it goes away with a quick tap of the throttle. p.s. i have installed the flo pro egr delete with the elbow, and done the dpf delete with 4" downpipe back mbrp exhaust and hs mini maxx programmer.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

drained water separator and that didn't do anything - filters were replaced a little over 2k miles ago. anybody have any other suggestions? is there anything i can monitor on the mini maxx to rule something out?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i could really use some suggestions. anything at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.4, injectors?, irregular idle, wierd idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.