burnt piston #8 what should i do - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 05:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
burnt piston #8 what should i do

number 8 injector stuck open and fried the piston so if i gotta pull the motor out ima egr delete it new head gaskets arp studs and plrt the heads what could i do to get the most hp without breakin the bank? Or should i jus put a built 12v in it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 AM

sorry to hear that.

you can get everything rebuilt and add a bigger turbo and gate. thatll probably be the simplest. to get more power out of the turbo you can add fuel and get bigger injectors.

you can go another route and get cams, pushrods, rockers, springs etc would really strengthen your valvetrain while giving you a flatter powerband.

or you could do both haha. elite diesels, rudys, rcd, mpd has a lot parts you might be looking for.

good luck with your build.

Last edited by Capt dong; 09-03-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 AM

Yeah i need to get a prcie on all the parts i do have a 03 common rail cummins motor jus sittin but i love the power of my 6.4 jus dont want to spend 10k and still get ****ty fuel mileage
Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 AM

i think fuel mileage will depend on how you drive it and your drivetrain like gears, suspension, tires etc... which you already know. im getting 16.25 mpg a tank hand calculated with my mods and very conservative driving habits. however it still wont touch the fuel eco of a cummins.

i guess in your situation its cost vs power. im thinking by the time you spend money to add power to the 12v to match the 6.4s level youll have spent as much and the fuel mileage will decrease. i could be wrong though. not an expert on the 5.9. but that is part of the fun of rebuilding or converting is deciding what you want to go with.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:52 AM

If a 6.4 is set up correct, it shouldn't get terribly mileage. I don't see why you'd put older technology in a new truck anyway.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 PM

Idk ive always had cummins and strokes i still have two 12v trucks and a 7.3 truck idk i jus gotta figure out what its gonna cost to have my motor rebuilt and new mods i would love to keep the 6.4 jus dont wanna spend so much money it does have 145k of hard miles on it and has been to the dealer one time fpr.coolant leak on the radiator hose thats it never had any problems out of it jus need a idea of what its gonna cost to get it back rite
Old 09-03-2012, 01:54 PM

if you were to rebuild the 6.4 would you do it yourself?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:29 PM
Banned

isn't it illegal to put an older motor in a newer truck? just wondering out loud, also if you did the swap you would need to check that and maybe get it retitled. making it a salvage title
Old 09-03-2012, 03:13 PM

A cummins conversion in a Ford is Expen$ive. I talked to Beans Diesel about one for my 6.0 and out the door was like $20k. They said they would have to swap out transfer case, tranny, etc.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:19 PM

I jus did my dads f450 it had a 6.0 in it we put a 2000 cummins 24v in it and kept the ford trans and t case jus bought the adapter plate motor mounts wiring harness and trans computer got bout 6k in it with the motor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.