P088 HPFP Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 06:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up P088 HPFP Issue

After driving my truck around for about 3 months with the P088 code and getting told that I had to have the High Pressure Fuel Pump replaced, I struck gold yesterday! Just happened to be at a far off dealership to purchase a new exhaust sensor and swung by the service manager's office to ask if their dealership required the removal of the cab for this repair. He then told me the good news. Ford released a new calibration last month that nine times out of 10, fixes this issue! If you are being told that you need a new pump, go see your dealership. $115.00 and I'm fixed! Didn't think to ask him if there was a TSB but I'm sure there is. Great job Ford....now you need to refund everyone that got scammed with having to pay $3500 bucks for a new pump!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 AM

Found this.

4884 - 2008-2010 6.4L DIESEL - LACK OF POWER - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0088
SOME F-SUPER DUTY 250-550 VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 6.4L DIESEL ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A LACK OF POWER CONCERN WITH AN INTERMITTENT DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P0088; AT FULL OPERATING TEMPERATURE DURING MODERATE TO HEAVY ACCELERATION. A CALIBRATION UPDATE IS AVAILABLE TO RESOLVE THIS CONCERN. FOLLOW THE SERVICE PROCEDURE STEPS TO CORRECT THE CONDITION. 12-07-07
Old 08-16-2012, 06:48 AM

And this is the flash code. 11B23
Old 08-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I highly doubt the P0088 tsb calibration fix will be a permanent solution.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDS View Post
And this is the flash code. 11B23

11B23 has been out for a while. My truck had 11B23 and still had a bad HPFP.

Ford acknowledged some HPFP pumps were defective. An upgraded pump was released (updated HPFP changed p/n from rev A to rev B)

Here is TSB

TSB 11-4-22 6.4L - LACKS POWER - DTC P0088

Publication Date: April 27, 2011

FORD: 2008-2010 F-250, F-350, F-450, F-550

This article supersedes TSB 11-4-15 to update the Service Labor Time Standards.

ISSUE:
Some F-Super Duty 250-550 vehicles equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit a lack of power concern with an intermittent diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0088; at full operating temperature during moderate to heavy acceleration.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Intermittent P0088 diagnostics:

Check all continues memory DTCs. Is DTC P0088 the only code present?
No - do not continue with this procedure. Refer to the Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnostics (PC/ED) to diagnose this concern.
Yes - continue to Step 2
Replace the high pressure pump (HPP). Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04C for HPP replacement.
Both the fuel volume control valve (VCV) and fuel pressure control valve (PCV) adaptive learning parameters must be reset after a HPP replacement. Refer to PC/ED, Section 4, Hard Start/No Start Diagnostic Subroutines step 7 to reset adaptive tables.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8C3Z-9A543-B High Pressure Fuel Pump

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
10-20-10

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110422A 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L Regular Cab: Check DTCs And Replace the HPP Includes Time For Prior Approval, Remove And Install Cab, And Reset Both VCV And PCV Adaptive Learning
Old 03-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have a P0088

my truck is a F250 SUPER DUTY 20104X4 WITH 50,000 AND TWO TIMES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT go on and the computer code was P0088 but i dont notice any fail in the truck so the mechanic put the computer and get the check engine light off....second time the check engine go on with no fail but at this time i was getting on the freeway and i cant use the cruise control until i stop the truck and start again i dont noticed any fail the mechanic said i must to change the fuel pump
Old 03-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[QUOTE=SoonerDS;3209820]After driving my truck around for about 3 months with the P088 code and getting told that I had to have the High Pressure Fuel Pump replaced, I struck gold yesterday! Just happened to be at a far off dealership to purchase a new exhaust sensor and swung by the service manager's office to ask if their dealership required the removal of the cab for this repair. He then told me the good news. Ford released a new calibration last month that nine times out of 10, fixes this issue! If you are being told that you need a new pump, go see your dealership. $115.00 and I'm fixed! Didn't think to ask him if there was a TSB but I'm sure there is. Great job Ford....now you need to refund everyone that got scammed with having to pay $3500 bucks for a new pump! [/QUOTE

I was just talking to My best friend who happens to be a Shop foreman for a Ford dealership, since my 6.4 with 18K miles on it appears to be exhibiting the same wonderful problems that are on various forums. On a recent trip pulling a 4 place snowmobile trailer, the truck down shifted and fell flat on it's face, I could hardly get 60 MPH out of it. I am running a Tuner and DPF delete and even on a hot tune I didn't have any visible smoke with the throttle wide open.
He told me that in cold climates the wax may separate from the fuel when the temperatures drop low (around 0 or below) and plug the filter. This is common if the supplier mixes summer and winter blend, or in my case if the truck was filled last summer and only run off an on during the winter. The problem when this happens is not only the pump being starved for fuel, but also the injectors get damaged since they are lubed by the fuel as well. They will burn back and ruin the tips.
Flushing the system is basically a band aid cure, but hey if it works I will probably try it and i will guarantee that this truck will be for sale shortly after. It is ridiculous that you should have to spend $70-$100 for fuel filters every 5000 miles because the fuel system is junk!! I am already running synthetic oil, so I am into an oil change well over $100 every 7500 miles. The only reason I bought a diesel was for towing and I am finding that it has been the biggest mistake of my life. My understanding it that this is a lot of the reason Ford has severed ties with International. After the 6.0 and the 6.4, Ford cannot afford the negative publicity.

Last edited by montanarockrancher; 03-10-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.