What's that knockin - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's that knockin

Uh oh, well shi t. Truck has had a slight knock for the last 10k miles. It sounds as if it is getting louder. Sounds to me as it is coming from the oil pan, I wouldn't think a main would knock, so that points to a rod. It is not noticeable at idle, only if you slowly rev it up to around 2500 rpm. It has to be something in the rotating assembly, as it gets louder and faster as the rpm's
Increase. It is really noticeable if there is a wall next to you as you pull away, such as when I badge in at the powerplant and pull away from the guard gate. There is no lack of performance at all. I bought the truck used with 32k on it, it was owned by an older man and I don't think it was ever off the highway, it now has 46k on it. Truck is not beat on at all, oil and filters changed every 5k. I guess tomorrow I am going to reinstall the factory exhaust and take the h&s out, drive it a few days and then take it in. Wish me luck.
Sent from my DROID RAZR

Last edited by BB's 250; 08-08-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Good luck. Hopefully she gets over the sickness quickly and cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free
Old 08-08-2012, 04:01 PM

Please keep us informed.....I'm hearing about this a lot the past few months?

Good Luck,
Turbo Kidd
Old 08-08-2012, 06:17 PM

Will do, I'm going to drive it a couple days to go thru a couple regens. Hopefully everything will be allright. I also have a small oil leak, and I'm sure that the egr valve wont work as it has not been cycled in 10k miles.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
this is becoming more and more frequent. i swear mine sounds like its thumping or something but im not sure if its just the intake. mine i can only hear at idle and isnt that loud, im just paranoid i guess
Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB's 250 View Post
Will do, I'm going to drive it a couple days to go thru a couple regens. Hopefully everything will be allright. I also have a small oil leak, and I'm sure that the egr valve wont work as it has not been cycled in 10k miles.

my EGR worked perfectly after being turned off for almost 30k miles
Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Uh oh, well shi t. Truck has had a slight knock for the last 10k miles. It sounds as if it is getting louder. Sounds to me as it is coming from the oil pan, I wouldn't think a main would knock, so that points to a rod. It is not noticeable at idle, only if you slowly rev it up to around 2500 rpm. It has to be something in the rotating assembly, as it gets louder and faster as the rpm's
Increase. It is really noticeable if there is a wall next to you as you pull away, such as when I badge in at the powerplant and pull away from the guard gate. There is no lack of performance at all. I bought the truck used with 32k on it, it was owned by an older man and I don't think it was ever off the highway, it now has 46k on it. Truck is not beat on at all, oil and filters changed every 5k. I guess tomorrow I am going to reinstall the factory exhaust and take the h&s out, drive it a few days and then take it in. Wish me luck.
Sent from my DROID RAZR
Are you sure you're not hearing injector rattle? That kind of sounds like what you are describing. Mine was doing almost exactly the same thing. It sounded exactly like a gasser with the timing out of adjustment (pinging). I couldn't hear it at idle, but when I would take off from a stop, you could hear it for a few seconds then it would go away. However, since I started using Diesel Kleen, I haven't noticed it anymore. Could be the injectors need cleaning and lubricating. It would be worth a bottle in each of the next couple of tanks just to see.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Its not injector rattle. I use diesel kleen dam near every tank. It only does it after it warms up. We will see what the ford house says. Anyone know what the elctronic plug is just before the dpf flange, it has a rubber hose that comes off and runs to it, it is on a little bracket. Mine broke, I'm sure its gonna throw a dtc since it is electronic. Also noticed I have a coolant leak, looks like it is coming from the bottom cooler, I have noticed I have been loosing a litle coolant, also have a little oil leak, never dripped, just notice it underneath, and a small tranny leak no drip just wet underneath. I might as well hit them with it all at one time.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Its not injector rattle. I use diesel kleen dam near every tank. It only does it after it warms up. We will see what the ford house says. Anyone know what the elctronic plug is just before the dpf flange, it has a rubber hose that comes off and runs to it, it is on a little bracket. Mine broke, I'm sure its gonna throw a dtc since it is electronic. Also noticed I have a coolant leak, looks like it is coming from the bottom cooler, I have noticed I have been loosing a litle coolant, also have a little oil leak, never dripped, just notice it underneath, and a small tranny leak no drip just wet underneath. I might as well hit them with it all at one time.

Good luck...All of those items are a pain in the a$$, but very fixable. That noise you are hearing is the rocker arm on the 7 or 8 cylinder. Get that fixed before you have a failure. You are also correct....you are going to get some codes for the EGR and sensors for the DPF....just drive a day to create a new active memory in the ECU and you will be fine at Ford.....You will get a fresh rig when you are done.

Good luck & keep us updated.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Okay, well then that's obviously not the cause of the rattle.

That plug you are talking about is the DPF pressure sensor. When the soot level gets too high in the DPF, which in turn increases exhaust back pressure, that's the sensor that measures it and tells the PCM to start a regen. There is also a temp sensor before the DOC, one between the DOC and DPF, and one between the DPF and muffler. If any of them fail, it will throw a DTC and light the CEL and can put it into limp mode.

Last edited by cp2146; 08-09-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.