Broken Rocker Arm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broken Rocker Arm

Looking for some advice - my 2008 F-250 with 221,000 miles on it just broke a rocker arm (cylinder 8 - exhaust). The dealer replaced it, did a compression test (all cylinders good) and then started it. The mechanic heard a ticking so shut it down and removed the valve cover to make sure that everything was put together correctly. He didn't see anything obvious so he decided to start it up again with the valve cover off. When he did, he is now getting a lot of oil shooting up around the pushrod. He did check the pushrod and it doesn't appear to be bent.

Now they want to pull the engine and check the lifters. If they are going to pull the engine (again - the engine was out in May to fix broken exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger side) I am considering putting a re-manufactured engine back in a DUMPING this POS.

They couldn't get the studs drilled out in the truck so the head had to come off and be sent to a machine shop. That repair did a huge drain on the bank account and now I am looking at somewhere around 5k for this repair.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does something on the 6.4 prevent you from just replacing the rocker arm? That's rather the standard procedure on the things I've worked on. Sometimes they just go.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sgg93 - they have replace the rocker arm. Now there is oil squirting out around the push rod that is not normal. There is also a ticking sound. I am guessing that the lifter is shot. I really don't want to drop more cash into this thing.....
Old 08-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgg93 View Post
Does something on the 6.4 prevent you from just replacing the rocker arm? That's rather the standard procedure on the things I've worked on. Sometimes they just go.
rockers can fail on 6.4s simply from a lack of maintenance but more likely it's something larger. I'd always be suspicious of a lifter/cam failure in this case.

To get the rockers on a 6.4 the high pressure fuel rail does have to be removed. TECHNICALLY since the rail needs removed so does the fuel supply line running to the high pressure fuel pump......if you see where I'm going with this, a simple rocker change now turned into accessing the pump somehow to replace a fuel line(one time use only)
Old 08-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Every 6.4 that we reman needs all new rocker arms because there is unusual wear on all of them. I've talked to my contacts at Ford and nobody can explain why. If you needed to replace one, I'd replace them all. Ford sells one whole assembly per side. Cost is under $200 per side. I'd also be looking at lifter issues with your symptoms.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My 08 F-350, 6.4 at 95,000 ford replaced two broken rocker arms and push rods. I am at 117,000 miles and started getting that thumping, (thwocking) sound from the intake, Monday went from a good running truck to loss of power and barely running, got it over to another dealer and they got back to me today, stating blown holes on #3 cylinders. I mentioned the rocker arms that had been replaced and was not convinced that I need new rings. I was very upset the 1rst time I had to have this done at 95,000, since Ford would not warranty it because I was 2 months past the 5 year, but under the 100,000. All maintenance has been on time and the truck has never been abused. Not sure what they will tell me Monday on price. These are not cheap trucks and expect more out of a super duty! Does anyone think that the regen on these trucks have anything to do with the multitude of problems this engine has or is just a bad design?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.