Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How to remove the EGR valve for cleaning

20K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  travisH3 
#1 ·
It's smog time for me so I re-installed my stock exhaust and stock intake. I also re-turned my truck back to stock with my H&S Mini Maxx. After about 20 miles of driving the truck threw two codes.

P1335- Exhaust Gas Re circulation (EGR) Position Sensor

P0404 Exhaust Gas Re circulation Control Circuit Range/Performance

I removed the three bolts around the EGR along with the three holding the black casing over the top of the valve. I tried to pop the valve up and out of the intake housing. However, after several angles and tries I was unsuccessful. I decided to get out a pry bar and give it a little more pull. I ended up snapping the EGR mounting plate and the valve still didn't come out.

Any recommendations as to how to get this dam thing out? Luckly the way that it broke, the valve was unaffected and I was able to bolt is back on without issue. The black cover over the top even hides the split in the metal.

#2 ·
not gonna happen. even with the special ford EGR removal tool you're still way less than 50% sucess rate. I don't even attempt a valve pull anymore, just replace the whole intake throttle elbow and egr valve.

#4 ·
I have to smog my truck here in Az soon.... when you removed the valve was there a lot of build up? Should I check/clean mine before I do emissions?? I have "heard" that the Mini Maxx does NOT cycle the EGR valve, could that be why yours is stuck??
If you do an EGR Valve delete, with the Mini Maxx plugged in will it look for the EGR or will it be like the DPF where it can ignore the fault??
** Sorry didnt mean to high-jack you**

#5 ·
the mini maxx turns off the egr operation which creates build up from the extra soot, when you return it to stock, the egr has to start working again and all that buildup wont let it function properly

#6 ·
Okay, so what I was able to do with the EGR was remove the black casing and press on the EGR spring several times. I wasn't able to get the actual valve out, but this method seemed to work.

After pressing on the spring several times and clearing the codes everything works fine. I drove the truck all week without further issue. This morning I was able to smog the truck and pass without issue.

The smog test was a joke and a waste of money!!!

The tech simply popped the hood and inspected the engine bay for a minute or two. He then took a mirror and held it under the front bumper to inspect the under side of the engine.

Next he got in the truck, started it up and rev it up quickly two separate times. He turned the truck off and told me that it passed just fine.

He did not even scan the computer for codes or anything. I asked why he didn't have to scan and he told me that it seems as though the computer scan is at random.

Anyways, it's times to get my true diesel power back now that smog is over.

#7 ·
I need to remember that for if mine goes back to stock, it's ridiculous you cant get the egr out to clean it. It was hard enough in the 6.0.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.