Strange noise from hpfp??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange noise from hpfp???

Ive searched all around and found nothing that describes my problem so im starting this hopefully to get some insight. We have a 2008 f250 with just over 100k at work and today it came in with a wierd noise under the hood. The noise sounds like a bearing in an idler pulley is goin out but its not that. Its coming from the back drivers side of the engine and it almost sounds like its from the turbo but i got out my long screwdriver to use as a stethescope and narrowed the noise down to the fuel line coming off the cooler next to the reservoir, it runs down next to the turbo into a T fitting which i think is the return line, one line heads up front the the filter bowl, and the other heads under the turbo and to the hpfp i believe. When i put the screwdriver right on that T fitting the noise is very noticably louder. Could the hpfp be making this noise, and from what i can hear through the screwdriver the noise gets faster as the rpms go up. I dont know a whole lot about these 6.4s so any help would be appreciated. Thanks, JIm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 03:11 PM

EDIT: I found this diagram and the T im talking about is the one on the back right that goes to the hpfp and up to the front of the head. dont know if that will help or not.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...ply_System.pdf
Old 07-25-2012, 06:56 AM

Anyone have any idea about this. I'm leaning towards hpfp because I noticed this morning that there is a very slight miss at about 1000rpms but I really don't know for sure so any help would be appreciated
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you ever find the problem. Mine is doing the same thing.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 AM

Re: Strange noise from hpfp???

Ended up taking it to ford and they agreed with me that it was the hpfp. Boss didnt want to fix it at the time so the driver has steady been using it with no problems but they are gonna bring it back in soon so I can replace the pump. When ford does it they say they have to replace pump, injectors, lines and all which is a very expensive job so we are just gonna replace the pump by itself. Hope that helps and if you have any questions let me know.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So how expensive is the job?
Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM

I don't remember the exact number but I believe it was something like 1100 for the pump and 120 for the cover gasket kit give or take a few. Few orings for the turbo and power steering lines but not much more than that I don't think. I didn't replace all the high pressure lines to the injectors just the two from the pump to the rail that come with the cover gasket kit.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

that was with ford doing the job right?
Thanks for your time!
Old 05-27-2013, 04:58 PM

Ford never forgets to go "by the book" so they can charge you for every spare dime then can. I think to change out a 6.0 they charge for 30 hours of labor. Almost every independent diesel shop I have talked to says you can have the old motor out and the new one in and it only takes a day. Day and a half if they run up on anything unexpected. My local dealer wanted 22k to put in a new 6.0 in my 05, I told them for that cost I could buy a new gasser. Local shop says they can put in a rebuilt Jasper for about 13k or a Cummins for about 15k.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:07 PM

That was just the cost of parts. I removed the cab and did the install. Its a company truck not mine and Im just the company mechanic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.