Glow Plug = Blown Out (not on purpose) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow Plug = Blown Out (not on purpose)

So a little rant here... I just purchased a 2008 F250 from a dealer here in OK just under a month ago. It has ~80K miles on it and it's warranty just went up on the 30th on June. I was pulling out into the street 2 nights ago when all of the sudden I heard this loud putting noise so I coasted to a stop in a parking lot that just so happened to be an auto zone. So I ran the codes on it there and it was tossing out the glow plug failure / #2 cylinder misfire. Took a look at the #2 plug from the wheel well and sure enough it was gone. The harness is still dangling there but you can look straight down into the #2.

Called up the dealer whom I bought it from and surprise surprise no help from them even though the 5/100 warranty just ran up 7 days ago and I hadn't even owned the truck for a month.

So needless to say I've ordered my parts and plan on stripping down the drivers side to the valve covers.

Anyone have this happen to them before and taken care of it them self? I figures if it did most would have still been under warranty. I just hope the threads aren't too jacked up from when it blew it out.

Any suggestions toss them at me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Most places give you a 30 day warranty that covers 50% or parts and labor. Did you get anything like that? I'd be pissed!!
Old 07-13-2012, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We are going to be tearing it down this afternoon. Is it pretty easy to get the drivers side valve cover off?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:45 AM

What dealer is that so we know not to go there.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Maybe pull an OASIS and see if Ford did the GP anytime in the last few months

then it would be covered

also call ford customer service .. they may be able to assist ?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So we got it inside where we could get a better look at what we were dealing with. Turns out it wasn't such a big deal after all. Removed the coolant reservoir along with the battery tray and then we were able to get a straight shot view. The outer part of the old plug was still in place and it had just blown out the inards if you will of the glow plug. We were able to back it out and slide a new plug in. I'll post a pic of the plug that failed soon. So crisis averted and everything was fine when we started her up. Still pissed at my dealer though. I bet if I were to take it in I would have got raped.

FYI it was Reynolds Ford over in Norman

They are supposed to take a look at my front end here soon as when I bought it it felt quite loose and aloso the 4x4 hubs won't remote lock. Hopefully they make good on that part of the deal.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I've heard of this a few times but never actually seen it. Glad it wasn't anything serious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
glow, misfire, plug, valve cover

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.