bypass oil filters and excessive CCV oil in intake tract - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 05:20 PM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bypass oil filters and excessive CCV oil in intake tract

here's my issue. I have a 2008 F250 6.4. I put an oil bypass filter system on, using the amsoil filler cap and filter cap. after it was installed i noticed oil was disappearing. no leaks in the system. I also was getting puffs of white smoke at start up. Lead me to believe I was getting oil in my intake system. I was thinking it was either gonna be a CCV issue or turbo seals. I checked out my turbos, they have no noticeable movement in the shafts and are clean of oil beyond what the CCV puts there. I took my intercooler off and found about a quart of oil in there when I took the lower boot off. SO, i cleaned out the intercooler. I took the tube that connects the CCV can to the intake tube off and plugged the intake side and ran a 1'' hose from the ccv can across the engine pointed at the ground. I am getting a noticeable amount of oil from the tube, when i got home last night and parked in the garage. there was enough oil that had sprayed out that my axle had dripped oil that had sprayed on it on my garage floor.

SOOO, after the long explanation, here's the question.

DO you guys think the oil entering the CCV from the bypass system as the truck is running is being caught by the CCV air and blown through the CCV system? Has anyone else had issues with this while having a bypass system on their truck?

here's my other thoughts. as is now, the by pass system functions in this way. the oil leaves the engine through the top of the filter cap and flows to the bypass filters, then it flows back in to the engine through the oil fill cap. If i routed the oil return line back to the oil filter cap would there be any issues? cause oil flows in through the middle of the filter and flows through it. if the return line flowed to the outer part of the oil filter cap and flowed in to where the oil is alread filtered by the regular oil filter? Or is the oil inside the filter cap all pressurized the same and would it be useless? Just trying to think of a better way to route the oil back in to the engine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

absolutely... thats why im not putting one on my truck until i can figure out a better way to return it, might have worked on the 6.0 but not on the 6.4 with the ccv where it is

and to your second thought about terutning it to the oil filter, that wont work, you need to return it to an area with less pressure, it wont flow if the inlet and outlet pressures are the same

ideally im not sure if these motors have pressure ports like the 7.3 did, havent really looked but if they dont you could try to tap a valve cover somewhere
Old 06-29-2012, 08:40 PM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

yea, thats what I was worried about. Oh well. I'm gonna take it back off for now. I figured the oil filter cap wouldn't work, pressure and all. but never hurts to think out loud. I think the valve cover is probably the best bet. maybe even the driver side valve cover if possible to avoid the possibility completely. I emailed amsoil in regards to what I posted above. Interested to hear their response whether they're going to blindly stand behind the the fact that the same product is marketed for the 6.0 and 6.4 and said to work the same. they're different animals altogether in regards to bypass and i wonder if they'll adress my the fact it doesnt work. IDK, never dealt with em so i don't know how they generally are. There's a performance shop around here that I'm gonna talk to and see what they think about it as far as getting something to make a bypass system work. They do a lot of good fab work and have a great track record
Old 07-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

im sure there are ports to use on the side of the motor, i just dont have the balls to start poping them out to see which on is which
Old 07-02-2012, 02:35 AM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

Yea. Thats why im thinking valve cover.

Bypass has been off for two-ish days now and no excessive oil sprayed on the underside of my truck.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The FS2500 bypass bypass oil filter system routes the oil back to the oil pan. It screws into where the drain plug is. Not sure if this helps you or not but i hope it does.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6point0damn2004 View Post
yea, thats what I was worried about. Oh well. I'm gonna take it back off for now. I figured the oil filter cap wouldn't work, pressure and all. but never hurts to think out loud. I think the valve cover is probably the best bet. maybe even the driver side valve cover if possible to avoid the possibility completely. I emailed amsoil in regards to what I posted above. Interested to hear their response whether they're going to blindly stand behind the the fact that the same product is marketed for the 6.0 and 6.4 and said to work the same. they're different animals altogether in regards to bypass and i wonder if they'll adress my the fact it doesnt work. IDK, never dealt with em so i don't know how they generally are. There's a performance shop around here that I'm gonna talk to and see what they think about it as far as getting something to make a bypass system work. They do a lot of good fab work and have a great track record
any update on this? i want to buy a bypass kit and would like a fix for the oil return
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

I would just go with the FS2500 bypass kit since the oil return is not an issue. I use it as my bypass filter and have never had any problems with it, not to mention my oil analysis always comes back beautiful, and thats with 10, 000 + miles and lots of idling. After my research, it was a tad more expensive, but far superior to other filters and after having it on my truck, it was worth every penny!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by texascowboy_1974 View Post
I would just go with the FS2500 bypass kit since the oil return is not an issue. I use it as my bypass filter and have never had any problems with it, not to mention my oil analysis always comes back beautiful, and thats with 10, 000 + miles and lots of idling. After my research, it was a tad more expensive, but far superior to other filters and after having it on my truck, it was worth every penny!
Does your FS2500 return to the oil pan or the oil fill? I think they have both systems.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

My system returns the oil to the oil pan. As far as I can remember, it was the only option but its been a very long time. I just called them, told 'em what I had and asked what they recommended........what I got is what they said would be best. I have been overly impressed with their system and truely believe it does it's job better than any other. I have used other systems before on my previous truck, but never ended up with oil that lasts like mine does now, which is important to me considering my truck is heavily used for work. Just call 'em and talk to 'em, they will answer any questions you have and help all they can!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.