Building compression in cooling system - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Building compression in cooling system

I have a 08 f350 4x4 spartan 275 4 inch straight pipe off turbo and s&b cold air intake. Cooling system is blowing coolant all over bottom side of my hood. I f i remove the cap to the degas bottle, it releases a ton of pressure in the system even after it has been sitting for hours of no use. Any ideas out there that would help me out? Does the spartan tuner cause this? Cant recall if this happened when the truck was completely stock. A good friend is a diesel mechanic and he says thats its not normal to build compression in the system. Need some quick responces thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When your cooling system builds a bunch of pressure it is more than likely the headgaskets. You can try replacing the degas bottle cap first but i dont think that is your problem. It sounds like headgaskets
Old 06-29-2012, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is there any tell tale signs that you would see if the head gasket went bad? Truck does not throw the check engine light, never overheats and runs great. I bought a new ford factory cap and will give that a shot. (i did however take truck to ford about 6 months ago for same issue, they compression checked it and it came back normal...)
Old 06-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Powerstroke Techie

No, you won't really have any signs or symptoms unless it pushes out a lot of coolant and then it will start overheating.

I agree with it's probably head gaskets. We blew the head gaskets out of the shop truck towing with the 160 H&S tune.

Best way to tell if it's head gaskets is rig up a pressure gauge in the coolant system. Go for a hard road test and see how much pressure it's building. Most likely under a hard pull you'll see it build up to 16 psi rather quick, especially with that tune. If you see that then it's head gaskets. Putting it back to stock probably won't make it push out as bad but you'll still need to replace the head gaskets soon.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

what kind of price am i looking at to replace the head gaskets? Truck is out of warranty but im thinking of buying a extended warranty because of the issues these trucks have.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Subscribed

Sent from the mower shop
Old 07-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Subscribed.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My dealer quoted me $3000 for labor to do head gaskets.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolyamaha View Post
what kind of price am i looking at to replace the head gaskets? Truck is out of warranty but im thinking of buying a extended warranty because of the issues these trucks have.
Stay far away from the aftermarket extended warranties. They love to take your money and will say just about anything to make you feel good with your purchase but when it comes time to need them they will tell you it was a pre-existing problem and that they won't cover the repair. Thats after they tell you to "authorize" the shop to rip it down to figure out what the problem is so that not only will you be screwed that they won't pay for repairs but that you now have a bill with the shop that ripped it down and to get your truck back you have to either fork up the dough for them to repair it or what it cost in labor to rip it down before you get your vehicle back. Trust me they are no good. I have dealt with them once before and never again.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wouldn't they need to prove somehow that it was a preexisting problem to not cover it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.