oil in intercooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 02:26 PM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil in intercooler

so i've been getting some white puffs of smoke when I start the truck after its been parked after a longer drive. thinking thats it probably something to do with oil getting in the intake system. I took the lower boot of the intercooler and pulled the intercooler off the truck. there was about 20 oz of oil that drained from the boot and lower pipe when i loosened it and with what came out of the intercooler itself when I blew air through it with the shop vac i ended up with probably around 30 oz of oil or right around a quart that was sitting in the bottom of the intercooler. with that said, what could it be?

Could it be the CCV, can the way the CCV is routed through the intake system deposit that much oil in your intercooler?

Or do I maybe have an issue with a turbo seal somewhere?

or is it something I'm not thinking of?

lets hear your thoughts. what do you think it could be?

Last edited by 6point0damn2004; 06-25-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6point0damn2004 View Post
so i've been getting some white puffs of smoke when I start the truck after its been parked after a longer drive. thinking thats it probably something to do with oil getting in the intake system. I took the lower boot of the intercooler and pulled the intercooler off the truck. there was about 20 oz of oil that drained from the boot and lower pipe when i loosened it and with what came out of the intercooler itself when I blew air through it with the shop vac i ended up with probably around 30 oz of oil or right around a quart that was sitting in the bottom of the intercooler. with that said, what could it be?

Could it be the CCV, can the way the CCV is routed through the intake system deposit that much oil in your intercooler?

Or do I maybe have an issue with a turbo seal somewhere?

or is it something I'm not thinking of?

lets hear your thoughts. what do you think it could be?
I haven't pulled my egr valve assembly off yet to put on my new elbow but from my understanding I will find oil in there due to the ccv being vented through the intake. I have never seen anyone mention how much would be normal though. I know some guys that have put a catch can system on their vehicle & after driving it for awhile they end up with a couple quarts of oil in their so i would assume it is normal. Not sure though.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 PM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

yea i'm not sure on a normal amount either. honestly there shouldn't be ANY but oh well. we get what we get. I'm gonna do the CCV re route and see what I end up with. No more oil in the intake system I'll just assume it was a CCV problem if I end up with oil after the CCV i'll assume its turbo related.

still interested to hear what others have seen. how much oil have you dumped out of your intercooler
Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I installed a catch can and routed the CCV back to the intake. I get a few ounces of oil in the catch can. I have been wanting to pull my intercooler to clean it but i havent dont it yet. I need to do that one of these days.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

we had one in the shop with bad turbos and they were putting oil down in the air to air
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.